We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in October?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Travel in October?

Thinking about traveling around the country for a week in the middle of October. Anyone have experience with the weather and more importantly will it be too quiet- restaurants, bars, attractions open?

Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in October?

Hi

I'm afraid it's impossible to predict the weather for mid-October. There could still be some nice days, or it could be wet, or it could turn cold. Occasionally we get snow already at the end of October.

It really depends on what you are most interested in seeing and doing. If it is indoors things, then you will be fine. The major tourist attractions i.e. the caves, Bled Lake and Castle, etc. will all be open but it will certainly be quieter as it is between seasons - though this might be good too as less traffic and cheaper hotels!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel in October?

Agree with SIA, additionally expect cities like Ljubljana to be packed with locals, unlike during the summer when they're packed with tourists, but again it all depends on the weather, but generally tourist places will be quieter during the week. However, if the weather is nice it will get busier during the weekends.

On the other hand, you'll get to see some nice fall foliage that tourists generally don't get to see.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel in October?

Thank you for the advice. That is kind of what I expected, but we enjoy traveling in the off season and hiking in bad weather does not stop us. Any experiences you would suggest that are not in the guidebooks?

Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel in October?

There are plenty of walks I could suggest but it depends on how far you want to go, how high, how challenging, how experienced you are etc.

Also depends what else you enjoying seeing, doing.

Let us know and I'm sure I, or others on the forum, will be able to suggest something!

5. Re: Travel in October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 13, 2014