We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what's it like to work and live and slovenia

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
what's it like to work and live and slovenia

Slovenia seems like a wonderful European city - a blend of many cultures with her people alive to the joys of life and the economic opportunities - what is it like to work and live in Slovenia? How does one find work there - would English as a business language suffice?

Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what's it like to work and live and slovenia

It is VERY hard to find work in Slovenia - especially for foreigners who don't know the language. English is widely spoken but by no means helps when it comes to finding a job. The country is in the middle of a financial crisis, a lot of factories have closed, the rate of unemployment is growing rapidly. It is, as you say, a great country is many ways, but unless you have a good job offer or don't need to work or a good pension etc. it really isn't easy to make a living as the cost of living is very high and salaries relatively low.

Even if you speak the language, as I do, its still not easy - believe me!

UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what's it like to work and live and slovenia

First of, you need to clear a few things up with yourself. Are you considering moving for financial reasons? That is, you're hoping to make more in Slovenia than Singapore? If that is the case, don't. Because you won't make more.

If you have other hopes, then share them. We'll be able to give you better answers that way.

About English. I know a few people who can't really speak Slovene, beyond the basics, such as "hello", "thanks", etc. and they get by just fine. They are software engineers and it's kinda expected of such people to be fluent in English.

I've also heard from these people that work ethics here are different. Apparently people are a lot more easy going. I have no first hand experience in this so I can't really comment. But if this is true, it is something that would tip the scale for me, because not being stressed out every day because of work is really important to me.

So bottom line, your question is too generic, you have to be more specific to get better answers.

And Slovenia isn't a city.

Cairo, Egypt
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what's it like to work and live and slovenia

What about doing business there? Opening fastfood outlet? How will that go?

Washington/UK...
Level Contributor
700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what's it like to work and live and slovenia

Probably fine when you go past wast red tape. In Ljubljana you have lots of restaurants, fast food outlets and all are doing fine.

Logatec, Slovenia
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what's it like to work and live and slovenia

Already too many fastfood outlets(mostly run by foreign workers on low wages), plus for you coming from Egypt, getting all the documents etc.. will be very challenging if not impossible + food safety standards are quite rigorous and it would require significant funds to set up everything otherwise you don't get a permit to operate.

Edited: 7:45 am, May 15, 2013
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what's it like to work and live and slovenia

If you open a fast food place and don't speak the language you will have to have someone at the counter that does at all times, which adds additional costs and is something to consider if starting a small business. I would suggest really getting acquainted with the fast food market in Ljubljana, I'm not sure if you've ever visited, but obviously you should get to know the city itself before opening shop here.

Also consider what you want to offer, there is some demand for certain types of foreign foods, for example I know of only one falafel place in Ljubljana and they always have a lot of business. And obviously you need to get acquainted with all the regulations here, check how much you need to invest in your company to get a work permit yourself, etc.

Here are some websites with relevant information:

Information on living in Slovenia for foreigners infotujci.si/index.php?setLang=EN&t=&id=

Slovenia business point http://www.eugo.gov.si/en/

Invest Slovenia http://www.investslovenia.org/

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: what's it like to work and live and slovenia

im slovenian i think it would go quite well as there arnt many and the one mcdonalds in ljubijana is very popular

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: what's it like to work and live and slovenia

well i am slovenija and spend alot of my time there, i think it would go quite well as a business as there arnt many fast food stops in ljubijana (capital) there is only one mc donalds that me anf my friends go to and its very popular so im sure another one would be just as popular

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: what's it like to work and live and slovenia

no

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: what's it like to work and live and slovenia

There are plenty of fast food places in Ljubljana, more than one McDonald's as well...