We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing holiday over Christmas 2012

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Skiing holiday over Christmas 2012

Hey, i am after some advice please on skiing holiday this year from 20-27 December.

Myself and my partner are beginners(been skiing twice, once in Sweden and once at Lake Tahoe in California) and looking for a week someone in Europe over xmas this year.

Ive been looking at Slovenia as its possibly cheaper/less busy than French/Italian/Austrian resorts.

However i am concerned about there being enough snow in Slovenia early in the season(20-27th dec). Anyone have any experience of the resorts there this time of year. Would we be best to just head to Italy/Austria etc?

Thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Skiing holiday over Christmas 2012

Nice one Jabba, Kranjska Gora sounds absolutely ideal re runs. Cheers for the trail map as well i was looking for a decent one of KG, looks excellent ! Tarvisio looks a terrific option as well if we get bored of KG, only 20 mins drive away according to google maps!

I have now booked my flights and accomodation(going from 20-27 dec), got a great deal on an apartment 100 metres from the slopes in KG :-) Cannot wait!

Thanks everyone for your advice and input, really helpful in my planning. I'll be sure to feedback on Kranjska Gora and surrounding areas.

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Skiing holiday over Christmas 2012

I stayed in Kranjska Gora a few years ago with a mixed group of skiers (intermediate to beginners/adults and children). If you are still building confidence, then these slopes are good as you can learn technique without wanting or needing to ski every single slope (as some do).

There are also plenty of canons, so if there isn't much snowfall, they will make their own. In fact they bussed people in from Bled/Bohinj when we were there.

The town itself is so friendly and welcoming - personally, I dislike those big impersonal resorts. I'm looking to book this year and despite being quite an experienced skiier, my first choice is KG because it's just so lovely, especially over the Christmas period.

You also get the best of all worlds - lovely Italian influenced food, but at Slovenian prices. Not too many hotels, so you get a real old-school alpine feel, as opposed to the huge resorts. We stayed at the Kompas, which was lovely!

Hope that helps.

13. Re: Skiing holiday over Christmas 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, December 16, 2013