We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights Warsaw-Ljubljana

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Flights Warsaw-Ljubljana

I need advice on the best (cheapest and shortest) flights Warsaw-Ljubljana. Traveling from Warsaw on March 13. The best fare I have been able to find has been on Lot $228. ONE-WAY!

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights Warsaw-Ljubljana

Lot and/or Adria (they codeshare) are also the only ones that do direct flights, so there is no other competition on this route.

The only other option is to book the low-fare carrier Easy Jet through London. But they fly to Luton from Warsaw if I am correct, so you would then need to change airports to get to Stansted from where they fly to Ljubljana.

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights Warsaw-Ljubljana

Thanks, Slo-Lju. I thought you might know something I don't!

I do appreciate your always prompt responses. I've been planning this trip for months and I wish I had started here and not spent so much time researching in vain on my own.

Regarding the URL you gave me to buy train tickets Lju-Venezia, it looks like it is much easier to go on Trenitalia and click on the International link:

trenitalia.com/en/…index.html

That way you can buy tickets online.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights Warsaw-Ljubljana

Did you make the purchase on the Italian web page? Do they send you tickets by mail or do you collect them somewhere?

Let me know of your experience with this.

I don't want to make recommendation for something I am not sure that works. I had a group of American tourists which I guided around Slovenia 2 or 3 years ago and we split in Venice. They were heading to Rome where a new guide was supposed to meet them. When we split they told me they had somehow bought train tickets on-line. Well, as I was informed later this turned out to be a complete chaos as the tickets (although paid) were not waiting for them and they got to Rome 2 days later than planned ...

I just hope you are not using the same webpage :))) or that the service has improved.

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights Warsaw-Ljubljana

Slo-Lju:

I wanted to let you know that it wasn't possible to purchase paper tickets LJU-VEN on Trenitalia, so after you wrote about the bad experience your people had, I purchased the tickets through Rail Europe

http://www.raileurope.com and click on Rail Tickets and Schedules.

The paper tickets arrived via 2-day service (DHL or FedEx - I'm not sure) which, of course, is extra (about $20.00). The process definitely works, though.

We will be visiting Slovenska Bistrica on business and will be dropped off in Ljubljana on March 14th. We have about 3 hours to kill before we take our train. Are there luggage lockers at the train station? How far is it to walk to Old Town from the station? Last question: Where can we have a nice lunch?

Thanks for your help.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights Warsaw-Ljubljana

I am glad you received the tickets. With the proverbial organization skills of the Italians :) it is perhaps really better to pay a bit more and have them in your hand.

Yes, there are self-operated lockers at the railway station in Ljubljana. You will need a 2-euro coin to use one of them and it is good for 24 hours. If you happen not to have a 2-EUR coin I think you can also buy a token to operate the locker. The token costs 400 Slovenian tolar, which is even slightly less than 2 euros.

Our main railway station is actually downtown, so of course you can walk to old town. To the very core of it (Tromostovje or the Three Bridges) you just follow the street Miklosiceva and you are there in approx. 10 minutes. You can them walk across the river and into the narrow streets under the castle.

I would need some more info to give you good advice on the place to eat as the offer is huge. Are you into trying some local cuisine? Or would you prefer a fancy international business lunch? Do you have a complete lunch in mind or just a quick snack before you hop on your train?

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights Warsaw-Ljubljana

Slo-Ju:

Thanks for the usual detail on the train station lockers.

We would like to eat traditional food in a nice restaurant (fancy is not necessary) where the menu has english (or Italian) translations.

Since we won't arrive in Venice until after 8:30, which means we won't be eating until after 9:30, it would help to have a substantial lunch.

BTW, I see you have some expertise in Napa and the Pacific Northwest. If you are ever in Sonoma County (more beautiful, less crowded and better wine than Napa), let me know. Email: tripadv@basicsourcelighting.com.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights Warsaw-Ljubljana

I would then suggest trying out Gostilna Sokol. It is an old Ljubljana town restaurant well known for traditional Slovenian dishes. It has a nice old town ambience and what is best about it for you is its location - it is located a few steps from the city hall and right across the street from Ljubljana Cathedral. The portions are large and the prices reasonable. They have a webpage, but unfortunately only in Slovenian, however you can at least have a look at the photos http://www.gostilna-sokol.com/.

Note that this is a very popular place. I don't recall that you told me the date, day and hour of your short Ljubljana visit, but it might be a wise thing to make a reservation if you want to eat there.

Unfortunately I am also not sure if they have menus in English. I have been there with Americans as well, but I have been to so many places with so many foreign friends and groups, I forget the details. But I will stop by one day and check.

I was thinking a bit more about your 3 hours in Ljubljana. If the weather is nice and after you deposit your luggage you could catch a taxi at the railway station and drive up to the castle hill. From there you could climb the stairs of the castle tower as there is a marvellus view of Ljubljana and especially its old town from the observation deck at the top. The taxi fare to the castle shouldn't be more than 7 or 8 USD. After you are done you could take a path which brings you from the castle hill right down to old town. The walk downhill shouldn't take more than 10 or 15 minutes. You could then walk through old town, have lunch at the mentioned »gostilna« and return to railway station via Miklosiceva. This is all doable in 3 hours and probably the best way to get an overall impression and view of Ljubljana, a detailed look and a taste of our cuisine. If you let me know of your dates and if I am in Ljubljana and if you wish I could even join you up on the castle tower for in introductory explanation.

Thanks for the offered help on Sonoma. I was in vicinity many times when I did Napa Valley, Calistoga, Muir Woods, Point Reyes and the drive to Mendocino. However I haven't yet found my way to Sonoma. I think I am flying to SF again this September, but my plans are not confirmed yet and I will be guiding a group. I might have a day for myself and perhaps Sonoma will come up on my itinerary this time. In that case I will certainly contact you beforehand to give me advice on the wineries. Winetasting is one of my favorite activities. Unfortunatelly it does not go well with my job in aviation :). Regards!

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights Warsaw-Ljubljana

Again, thanks for all the great advice and your kind offer. Normally, I stay as far away from tourist restaurants as possible if I know enough of the language to manage, but I'm a little concerned about ordering food in a restaurant where I don't know more than 2 words of the language. Is it reasonable to expect that the waiter/waitress might know English?

We (I and my son) plan to be in Ljubljana on March 14th, arriving at the train station about 12:30 p.m. Our train to Venice is at 4:15. If you are in town, it would be a pleasure to meet you and invite you to join us for lunch.

I had thought of hiring a taxi for a few hours, which I still may do if you won't be around. That way I don't have to worry about getting lost and missing the train. Otherwise, getting a little lost is the best way to see a city.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights Warsaw-Ljubljana

I would be surprised if they didn't have a menu in English. Almost all of the restaurants in the center do and also most of the waiters (at least one on each shift) usually speak at least a little English.

Although this restaurant is popular with tourists it is not a typical tourist one. It is very popular with locals as well and with students who come to have lunch from nearby faculties, which is why the atmosphere is nice and relaxed as the crowd is very mixed.

OK, I noted the date of your arrival on my calender. For the time being my shift ends at 2pm on that day, but perhaps I could end a bit earlier. I will let you know. Just tell me the day of your departure from Califonia, so I know the deadline to let you know if I will be able to join you. Otherwise you can also contact me at a_kolibri@yahoo.com.

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights Warsaw-Ljubljana

Sorry, I suppose I misread what you wrote about the menus. It sounds like we'll be fine and I look forward to seeing Ljubljana.

We leave California on Sun. March 5th, but we will be checking our email along the way in Germany and Poland. I would say you can let me know until Friday the 10th. I'll be checking email at least until then.

I'll email you with our cell number that hopefully will work in Europe (we haven't tried it yet - it's a Cingular number which we have set up to work internationally) to call just in case.

Thanks again for all your help.