We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggested itnerary for a 5-6 days trip?

HK
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Any suggested itnerary for a 5-6 days trip?

I am planning to go to Czech Republic & Hungary in early May and thinking of going to another country after that. Slovenia is one of my choices.

Is there any suggested itnerary for a 5 to 6 days trip?

I haven't booked the flight yet. Assuming I am going to these 3 places, I need to get a transit flight to other European country going back to HK anyway.

Thanks.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any suggested itnerary for a 5-6 days trip?

Ljubljana has flight connection with either Prague or Budapest so it shouldn't be a problem getting here. We also have daily flight connections with any of the European hub airports, so that is not a problem as well.

May is a good months to travel around, the daylight is long, the winter is gone, it is usually pleasantly warm, but not hot and the crowds are not yet here as the main season starts only in June.

Regarding itinerary - you should let me know of your preferences. Are you more into towns, museums and cultural heritage, more into nature, waterfalls, mountains, more into spas or more into cuisine? Slovenia is very diversed, so you could even get the taste of everything into 5 or 6 days.

Are you planning on renting a car here? Unless you only intend to stay in larger towns renting a car is almost a necessity.

HK
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any suggested itnerary for a 5-6 days trip?

Slo-Lju, thanks for your info. It's really difficult to get detailed information about Slovenia in HK.

Regarding the flight. I am only able to find that there is flight operated by Luftansa running between Ljubljana & Prague. But it's quite expensive. I can't even find any flight between Budapest & Ljubljana. Can you name a few airlines? Would it be more convenient to take the train instead (but it takes about 8 hrs between Budapest & Ljubljana, is it the minimum?)

Itinerary - I like get into town as well as nature. And here comes the problem, I don't drive. So, I have totally relied on public transportation. Would it be alright?

What is the main language in Slovenia? Is English OK?

Thanks.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any suggested itnerary for a 5-6 days trip?

Ljubljana - Prague is operated by CSA (http://www.czechairlines.com), Ljubljana - Budapest is operated by Malev (http://www.malev.hu), Ljubljana - Frankfurt, Munich, Paris, Vienna, London ... is operated by our national carrier Adria Airways (http://www.adria-airways.com).

The language here is Slovenian, but you'll be fine with English, especially if you will be spending your time in cities, where almost everybody at least understands English.

Not having a car would not be such a problem, you would just need to adjust your itinerary - stay mostly in cities and perhaps take one or two organised day trips into the countryside.

A lot of useful information about Slovenia can be found at http://www.slovenia-tourism.si/intro/.

HK
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any suggested itnerary for a 5-6 days trip?

Thanks for the information.

My travel days now around 4 – 5 days. Here is my plan

2 days in Ljubljana

1 day trip to Lake Bled

1 more day trip – any suggestion?

Is the plan ok? Will it be too crushed? I am totally relied on public transportation. Is there any suggestion for another not-to-miss place? What about Lake Bohinji??

Another question is about the transportation to Budapest and Prague. I know that it takes about 8 hour by train to Budapest. But I don’t want to spend the whole day on train, is there any reasonably priced airline to Budapest or Prague? Actually, I have checked CSA, Adria & Malev, they are quite expensive actually.

Thanks.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any suggested itnerary for a 5-6 days trip?

Hi! Your plan is fine. 2 days in Ljubljana and a day trip to Bled is very manageable. For the 4th day I strongly recommend visiting Postojna Cave. It is really huge and spectacular, it even features an underground railway. You can visit it by yourself if you take the bus from Ljubljana to Postojna as the walk from the bus station in Postojna is not very long.

Return flights from Budapest or Prague to Ljubljana usually cost around 200 USD. If this is pricy for you perhaps try booking a low-fare airline, but this means flying to London and then back to Ljubljana. Easy Jet flies from London Stansted to Ljubljana and Wizz Air starts flying to Ljubljana in May from London Luton. I believe both or one of these serve Budapest and Prague as well.