We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes National Park in...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes National Park in...

Hi all-

I will be staying in Ljubljana for a number of days in February 2006. While there is so much to do in Slovenia, I also have hear magnificent things about Plitvice Lake National Park in Croatia.

Does anyone know how far from Ljubljana this would be to drive (I will have a car) and whether or not it would be worthwhile considering the time of my visit?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jay

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes National Park in...

Driving from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes Nat'l Park by car takes approx. 4 hours. The national park is well worth the drive, it is really wonderful, pristine and unique. When I take groups or individual tourists there I usually organise 2-day trips, with overnight either in vicinity of Plitvice or somewhere on the Adriatic coast with the second day return along the coast. You could however also do it in one day from Ljubljana and back, but it might be exhausting to spend 8-9 hours driving, especially as the roads are not that great.

When visiting Plitvice Lakes I advise you first take the bus shuttle from the Visitor Center and then walk back to it. This way the path is inclined downhill and you do not get so tired. Spend at least 5-7 hours at the park if you want to enjoy and appreciate it. Have a great trip.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes National Park in...

Driving from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes Nat'l Park by car takes approx. 4 hours. The national park is well worth the drive, it is really wonderful, pristine and unique. When I take groups or individual tourists there I usually organise 2-day trips, with overnight either in vicinity of Plitvice or somewhere on the Adriatic coast with the second day return along the coast. You could however also do it in one day from Ljubljana and back, but it might be exhausting to spend 8-9 hours driving, especially as the roads are not that great.

When visiting Plitvice Lakes I advise you first take the bus shuttle from the Visitor Center and then walk back to it. This way the path is inclined downhill and you do not get so tired. Spend at least 5-7 hours at the park if you want to enjoy and appreciate it. Have a great trip.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes National Park in...

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes National Park in...

I'm obviously experiencing some technical problems, since my reply got posted 3 times, but not completely ...

I just wanted to note that February might pose a problem with regard to driving conditions. The road to this national park in Croatia traverses hilly and mountainous terrain and with abundant snowfall it often gets temporarily shut down or is diffucult to drive and thus the driving time far increases.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes National Park in...

Thank you so very much for your great advice. While I agree that it would be a wonderful side-trip, the distance may be a bit far, especially with possible snow-fall. It would be a shame to drive all that way just to find that roads were closed. We will probably just focus on the beauty within Slovenia and keep Croatia in mind for our next trip!

Thanks again for the wonderful post(s).

Jay

Saratoga, CA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes National Park in...

Plitvice Lakes is well woth a visit. Last year we visited, following Rick Steve's "Best of Eastern Europe 2004". Arrived at the hotel Jezero then Did upper Lake in the afternoon. Lower in the AM. Checked out at noon. It was perfect.

In Lubijana we stayed at the Hotel Emonec, right near the city center. Inexpensive, new, hospitable. It can't be beat.