We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Salzbug-Slovenia-Croatia

san jose, ca
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Salzbug-Slovenia-Croatia

Hi ,

I was wondering if there are issues with renting Car in Austria ...then travelling to Sloevnia and dropping it off in Croatia. I do know about the one way rental fee and I am OK with that.. Apart from that are there any other issues ?Wondering if it is very crowded when crossing countries ?

We are planning to rent a car in Austria (Salzburg) and travel to Croatia and drop it off in Pula, Croatia. We will travel around July 2 Monday or July 3 Tuesday. We chose weekday as I read there could be lots of traffic. Our plan is to Stop By lake Bled in Slovenia and then head to Croatia. Apart from the one way Car rental fee, could you please advice any other thing which we should keep in mind for driving by car to Croatia ? Could you please let us know Pros/Cons of driving vs taking a train ? The train journey seemed too long.

I am also any recommendation on car rental companies which will take care of insurance for driving in Slovenia and Croatia.

I appreciate your response.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Pula
Pula
Istria, Croatia
4 replies to this topic
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Salzbug-Slovenia-Croatia

One thing: you will need to buy a Vignette driving sticker at the Slovenian border to drive on Slovenian highways. You will also need an international driving permit (IDP), as well as your home driver's license, to drive in Slovenia and probably the other countries

What is the purpose of your journey? Are you intending to stop a few nights along the way? Or are you just trying to get from Salzburg to Pula as quickly as possible, and driving seems like the best way?

Try Sixt to see if they offer rentals in Austria dropped in Croatia.

One option: take the train from Salzburg to Ljubljana and a bus from there to Pula - or a shuttle service like GoOpti. This works best if you have the time to spend in Ljubljana (a lovely town) overnight. There is a train from Ljubljana to Pula but it requires several changes. There is a direct train from Ljubljana to Rijeka, Croatia, but that's a little ways from Pula.

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Pula
Pula
Istria, Croatia
Austria
Austria
Europe
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Ljubljana
Ljubljana
Upper Carniola Region, Slovenia
GoOpti
GoOpti
387 Reviews
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Rijeka
Rijeka
Primorje-Gorski Kotar County, Croatia
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
531 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Salzbug-Slovenia-Croatia

Ive rented from Europcar in Austria before, and will be doing so again later this year. I will drive through Slovenia - Europcar charges a small cross-border fee for countries including Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia and Croatia.

Mentioned in this post
san jose, ca
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Salzbug-Slovenia-Croatia

Thank you for your message. It was helpful.

san jose, ca
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Salzbug-Slovenia-Croatia

We are planning to rent the car and driving from Austria to Slovenia to Croatia is to save time and have flexibility to see places at our own time. The train from Salzburg To Rijeka takes a long time .. more than 8 hours. This made us think about driving option..

Thank you for the reply. We will get the international driving permit.

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Rijeka
Rijeka