We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days slovenia

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Topic
6 days slovenia

Hi, My husband and me plan to visit slovenia from venice for 6 days in march.

The following is the iteniary i have chalked out. Please let me know if it is fine and the modes of transport and also the nearest international airport from rovinj.I checked Pula but there are no direct flights to dubai. Is there any other airport which is close?

First 3 nites in lublijana

Day 1 - venice to Lubijana - Maribor, Lent, is home to the oldest vine in the world

Day 2 - Herdsmen’s huts at Velika Planina / Logar Valley Landscape Park

Day 3 - Lipica Stud Farm / Postojna Cave or Škocjan Caves / Predjama Castle

Next 3 days stay in lake bled

Day 4 - lublijana to Bled lake - Vintgar Gorge / Triglav National Park

Day 5 - Soča valley

Day 6 - lake bled to zadar

10 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,877 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days slovenia

Zagreb - ZAG will be the nearest airport with direct flights to Dubai (Emirates). Your 6 days in Slovenia looks OK. From Venice you should took GoOpti shared shuttle all the way to Maribor, then train or bus back to Ljubljana. Local bus for Kamnik/Velika Planina. Organised tour for Lipica-Postojna Cave-Prejamski grad. Local bus to Bled. A private transfer for round trip Bled - Predil Pass - Soča Valley - Vršič Pass (if open) - Bled.

Bled to Zadar?! First you will need to get to Zagreb (bus or train from Ljubljana) then bus or plane to Zadar.

Of course, you can also rent a car. Separately for Slovenia and separately for Croatia part of your trip.

Edited: 9:05 am, October 16, 2017
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days slovenia

Hi.Thank you very much!I may have to go to the hotel in ljubljana to drop in the luggage before heading to maribor.so you suggest an organized tour like viator for bled and the caves right? I am a bit confused about croatia.the pkan was bled to rovinj to zadar to zagreb.2 days in each town with the last day in zagreb having the return flight at 2:40pm but the distance between them seems a lot.i plan to visit hvar island,krka national park,plitvice lake and zagorjevregion if possible.can you please help with building my iteniary for 5 days in croatia.

Dovje, Slovenia
Level Contributor
395 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days slovenia

Sorry, but you need to be clearer. Your intinerary is doable, but...

Day 1 - Venice, Maribor and back to Ljubljana? In one day? Public transport? It would be a long, tiring day on the roads. Depends on your arrival to Venice, but from VCE to Maribor is more than 350km, thats more than 3,5 hours in a car (probably more in a bus/shared van). And then another 120km back to Ljubljana, another 1,5 hours on a road or train. That will not leave you with a lot of time to sightsee.

Day 2,3 - relatively straightforward and easy to do with a rental car or with an organised tour.

Day 4 - walking around Bled, some local buses, more accessible with rental car

Day 5 - a long day, tours available in Bled, best done with a rental car (and do a roundtrip over different roads

Day 6 - international train from Bled to Zagreb, then bus/plane to Zadar. A long day of travelling.

My suggestion is. Take a shared van/bus from Venice to Ljubljana. Rent a car, do sightseeing. On your last day return a car in Ljubljana and board a train/bus to Zagreb. Depending on your plans in Croatia, rent a car there or continue with a bus. Renting a car will allow you visiting Plitvice lakes en route to Zadar.

If you will use organised tours plan before coming to Slovenia (out of main season tours are limited!). Prepare to have some flexibility in your plans, as weather is unpredictable - especially in the mountains.

Dovje, Slovenia
Level Contributor
395 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days slovenia

Regarding your last message... From Bled to Rovinj is not easy to go with public transport. Also i don't think there is any direct connection between Rovinj and Zadar - using private or public transport would be a very long trip. If you have only 5 days in Croatia I would limit myself to ONE region. For example either Istria with Rovinj, inland hilltop towns, Pula and maybe Opatija. Other option is Dalmatia with Split, Hvar, Krka NP and Plitvice lakes. Both regions I don't think are doable in 5 days unless you spend your time driving around Croatia. I would also rather have my base in Split than in Zadar.

If your flight is at 14:40 from ZAG, I would fly from Split to ZAG or arrive to ZAG a day before.

Edited: 10:57 am, October 16, 2017
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days slovenia

I think i would prefer the second option.split hvar krka np and plitvice lake.so 3 days in split and 3 in zagreb including the lastday where i have a flight.

The reason i chose zadar as base was because its close to plitvic n krka np.so now i will have to go to split from bled but the distance is too much between the 2 places.cant i stay in zadar?

Edited: 1:11 pm, October 16, 2017
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,877 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 days slovenia

If there is not an important meeting you have in Maribor, just skip it. To much time spent on the road.

Your Croatia itinerary is doable only if you will have a rental car. I would go from Bled via Ljubljana to Zagreb by train, overnight then rent a car and drive down to Skradin, overnight, visiting Krka NP next day then driving to Plitivce having an overnight there, visiting the par, having another sleep in the area and finally returning to Zagreb for your 14:40 flight from ZAG. Check out on the map for additional stops.

Dovje, Slovenia
Level Contributor
395 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 days slovenia

Of course you can. But.... Distance wise both cities are of a similar distance to Krka NP, and Hvar is just a boat ride away from Split. As a day trip to Plitvice from Zadar? Its around 120-130km one way, easy if you have a car. From Zagreb its around 170km to Plitvice, and Plitvice are enroute to Zadar/Split.

If you don't plan or want to rent a car, I suggest to fly into Split, spend a few days there (Krka NP, Hvar, maybe Trogir town). Take a bus to Plitvice lakes, overnight there. In the morning see the NP, take a bus to Zagreb in the afternoon. Also note that buses and tours to Plitvice (and Krka NP) are regular in summer season! You are travelling in March so plan accordingly if using public tranport (if it is available at all).

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,247 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 days slovenia

In Ljubljana, we had a great experience with Grand Hotel Union.

Grand Hotel Union borders on Old Town.

Take care to request a Castle View room.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,442 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 days slovenia

Hmm....the OP doesn't seem to be asking at all about hotels.

Great advice from all the other posters.

USA
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 days slovenia

I see that you are spending 3 nights in Ljubljana -- but no time actually IN Ljubljana. There is much to see there. It's not just a base for daytrips.

Reply to: 6 days slovenia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted