We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Evening in Warsaw

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
One Evening in Warsaw

Hi All,

I am a single traveler, female, 23, with a flight into into Warsaw touching down at 3/4pm and leaving the following day at about 12/1pm. It will be a Sunday evening and I would really appreciate some advise...

I'm Canadian, speak english and a little russian.. but i have brown skin so I am a little concerned about potential racism. I would love to do a little evening/ night sight seeing... I also heard that there is a great nightlife there... I am also a thrill seeker, so I will do just about anything... I will take any and all suggestions :) I would also really like to meet some people, drink, you know, have some fun!

Anyone want to help me do some planning? >.<

Thanks xo

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Evening in Warsaw

You shouldn't worry about potentail racism in Warsaw. First of all, there are many foreign tourists and businesspeople from countries all over the world who visit Warsaw every year. Furthermore, most Polish people are fairly tolerant. Racist incidents do happen but surely not more often then in other countries.

Most (young and educated) people speak some English and/or other foreign languages but it's probably a bad idea to adress someone in Russian (especially older people).

Warsaw is ideal for night sightseeing, in my opinion the city is even nicer at night and at daytime (due to beautiful illuminations). Just head to the historical city center and have a walk. Sunday is not the best day for night entertainment, still I am sure you will find some decent places. You can find lots of bars at Nowy Swiat, Foksal and Chmielna street.

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One Evening in Warsaw

Hi FrequentTraveller22,

I appreciate your time! Ok so it's safe and avoid russian, got it :)

Would you happen to know if there is anything going on between 4pm and 9pm on a Sunday? I have seen a few tour ideas around but I was hoping to make the most of it, like a combo of activities, any ideas are welcome!

Perhaps you have heard of a tourist spot there?

Thanks, Kelsey

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,369 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Evening in Warsaw

well its a good thing you came on here first....if anything your skin color will be treated as a novelty....poland loves that it is now open to the world and you being there is a pleasant manifestation of that......besides warsaw is a big city and its the capitol....they get all types..i think you will be pleasantly surprised ...of course alot of this depends upon your own attitude....when you get to town head for nowy swiat....walk it towards the old town....theres alot of historic churches etc....or you could even tour the royal castle if its open at that time.....later at night head for foksal/nowy swiat area....usually its hoping but being a sunday night i dont know..for this area you might dress up a bit.......for a younger crowd head to plac zbawiciela....and btw....i wouldnt expect to speak russian there....its just not a good idea....but you never know you might see some russian tourists

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
459 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Evening in Warsaw

> Would you happen to know if there is anything going on between 4pm and 9pm on a Sunday?

Unless you specify the date, the only answer I can give is:

"yes, there is a lot going on"

;)

"i have brown skin so I am a little concerned about potential racism"

my first reaction after reading that was "what the hell is wrong with you people" and seriously I have no idea how such prejudices are formed. Seriously, unless you plan to attend a high-risk football match with lots of football hooligans around you will be safe.

You did not write what you are interested in. Learning about history, going to some cultural event, or meeting people (or combination). So:

I. For learning about history I recommend:

1) Warsaw Uprising Museum 3) Royal Castle 4) Gestapo Museum 5) Pawiak Prison 6) Museum of the History of Polish Jews 2) Historical Museum 6) Jewish Cemetery etc.

II. For culture, check what is going on:

http://www.kulturalna.warszawa.pl/

http://expatsguide.pl/

http://www.lovewarsaw.co.uk/

III. For meeting new people I recommend:

cluster of restaurants/bars/pubs at corner of Poznanska and Wicza ("Beirut", "Kraken", "Tortilla Factory", "Tel Aviv"), Clubs/pubs near the BUW (main library of the Warsaw University).

IV. As you will be here for just one night choose hotel in the best location (my choice woul be: Polonia, Bristol, Victoria, Inter-Continental, Sheraton).

Edited: 3:00 pm, July 24, 2013
Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One Evening in Warsaw

Hi there -

It would be September 8th & let's just say i have had an incident or two from a few native polish persons regarding discrimination. Prejudice comes from the older folks but when you travel alone you there are always one or two places you a warned about when color or gender has a potential factor. Thanks for the reassurance though, I agree that it is a very silly thing but still, among others, something to consider when you are traveling alone.

Thanks for the links as well, that Hulakula place looks crazy but other than billiards i don't see anything specific happening.

As for interested - i would love a tour, I have found a few - there's a bike tour in the evening, or a private tour with someone who drives around and tells you things - but some of my own interests, like bridge jumping, kayaking or maybe anything that is truly a polish thing- something the locals would do for excitement or fun.. I dont think museums and stuff would be open too late on a sunday evening, unless you can advise otherwise :)

Would you also happen to know which clubs are good on a Sunday?

I was looking at New World Hostel and Helvetia as potential options, but it wouldn't hurt to check out the hotels either :)

thanks again for all your help! :)

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,369 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Evening in Warsaw

unless theres something going on in town,warsaw hotels are heavily discounted on weekends....often with a great breakfast thrown in...keep that in mind as you might just be able to stay in a better place than you were expecting

7. Re: One Evening in Warsaw

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 26, 2014