We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice of Warsaw Hotel

Southern California
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Choice of Warsaw Hotel

We are going to Warsaw this April and have to choose between the Marriott and Sheraton. My husband will be doing a trade show during the day so I would like something in walking distance to places and we would like to walk to restaurants if possible at night. Based on these 2 hotels only, which has the better location? We don't mind walking at all as long as the area is safe. Please advise.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choice of Warsaw Hotel

I don't think there is a lot in it to be honest. Taking the Old Town as a tourist destination point it is maybe 35 minutes walk from the Sheraton and 40 from Marriott. But in any case public transport is easy to use, extensive and economical in Warsaw. Depending on the hotel "deal" I'd take the hotel with the best offer.

If I had to pick one or other purely on location I'd probably go for Sheraton although never stayed there but have used the Marriott extensively

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choice of Warsaw Hotel

The Sheraton is in a slightly better location, on a nice square called pl. Trzech Krzyży from where it is only a short 5 min. walk to Nowy Świat (popular street leading to the old town). There are several bus lines near the hotel so you would have direct access to many places of interest. The Sheraton has quite a good reputation, it's a low- rise building without any views over the city and, in contrast to all other 5 star hotels, it does not have a pool (as far as I know).

The Marriott is a high- rise building (about 40 floors) and offers great views over Palace of Culture and the modern city center. The main station and a big shopping mall are across the street but it would take about 10-15 min. longer to reach the old town and other sides. Several bus and tram lines stop in front of the hotel. The Marriott is located on al. Jerozolimskie, a very busy street so the immediate surroundings are less charming compared to the Sheraton.

Safety is not an issue but walking back to the Sheraton is more pleasant.

Both hotels are a good choice due to their central location. The Sheraton is a little closer to sights and restaurants but if you don't mind walking 10 min. longer, also the Marriott would meet your expectations.

USA/Polska
Level Contributor
451 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choice of Warsaw Hotel

I have stayed at both and definitely prefer the Sheraton. Their Sunday Brunch is the best! The neighborhood is fine and actually a little "upscale" with some restaurants and boutiques in the are of Mokotowska St. The Sheraton also is a straight walk to Nowy Swiat and then the old town, although probably a 25 minute walk to the old town, still the entire walk is dotted with cafes, shops, etc.

Southern California
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Choice of Warsaw Hotel

Thank you all for your response. We are elite members with both Starwood and Marriott and wonder if anyone has any info on the club lounges at either hotel and hwo the rooms compare to each other.

Thanks for all help and info as we have never been to Warsaw and really don't even know what we should see or do there.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choice of Warsaw Hotel

Unfortunately, I can't give you much advice how the hotels compare to each other. As far as I know (but I can be wrong), the Marriott has its club lounge on the top floor which means you could enjoy a view over modern Warsaw. The Sheraton is low- rise so do not expect a special view. I have also heard that the rooms in the Sheraton a rather on the small side and that some rooms in the Marriott look a little dated (hotel is 20 years old). But no guarantee on that.

Since you are a member of Starwood, I would like to inform you that there are 2 more Starwood hotels in Warsaw: Westin (not so central) and Le Meridien which is just beautiful from outside and in a premium location. Other hotels belonging to Marriott chain are at the airport.

There have been several questions recently on what to see and do but I give you a short summary:

- old town with royal castle, castle square, main market square, churches, and fortification walls; quarter north of the old town called new town which is not new at all;

- Royal Way, especially the part from St. Anne's to Nowy Świat street and surrounding streets and squares;

- Łazienki park and palace

- Uprising museum

- depending on your interests: Kopernikus science center, Chopin museum, Palace of Culture, Wilanów palace, Ujazdowski palace etc

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choice of Warsaw Hotel

The Club Lounge (aka Executive Lounge) is on the 38th Floor and as FT says has good views from there, although only in one direction! Been a while since I used it but the offering was very good. Can't offer a comparison as only used the Marriott

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choice of Warsaw Hotel

I have stayed at Marriott opposite there is a shopping mall (zwoty teresse) with lots of restaurants and boutiques being in centrum its was convenient for a first timer in Warsasaw.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
44 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choice of Warsaw Hotel

Stayed at Marriot, Bristol, Intercontinental, Polonia Palace and Westin though not the Sheraton.

The Westin is central contrary to earlier comments and the executive lounge was superb. I would place Intercontinental modern and stylish second, Bristol historic and great location 3rd, Polonia Palace interesting 4th and Marriot a little tired 5th.

The i75 bus i think takes you from Central station to the old town in 10 15 minutes

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,290 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choice of Warsaw Hotel

the shereton is by far the better location

10. Re: Choice of Warsaw Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 19, 2014