We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Poland

ISTANBUL
4 posts
Save Topic
Car rental in Poland

Hi,

We ,as two couples, plan to fly to Berlin on December 26, and want to rent a car and drive to Warsaw first(stay 2 days) and after go to Krakow(stay 2 days) and then go to Prag.(stay 4 days) and turn back to Berlin on January 03.

How is the road conditions in Poland in December?

Do You recommend us to rent a car ?

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Poland

If it has snowed by then (or is snowing), road conditions are likely to be treacherous and each leg of your trip will take a good part of a day to drive (Berlin - Warsaw 7-8hrs, Warsaw - Krakow 4-5hrs, Krakow - Prague 6-7hrs, Prague - Berlin 4hrs). This whole trip would be much quicker if you were to fly and/or take the train between these cities.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Poland

Polish roads are generally not the best (althogh the situation is omproving), but in December it's even more complicated to travel around by car due to snow and ice. Only one third or even less of your itinerary is covered by highways. The train from Berlin to Warsaw takes about 6 hours, from Warsaw to Kraków about 3. There are also some good and cheap connections by plane. In addition, it's always difficult to find a parking lot in all of these cities and most hotels charge parking fees. So I suppose you would even save money by choosing the train.

ISTANBUL
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Poland

Thank you very much for your king reply...

We firstly looked for train and flight tickets but found at very expensive prices.

( Berlin to Warsaw 75 euros by train, Warsaw to Krakow 30 euros by flight , Krakow to Prag 50 euros by train, Prag to Berlin or Munich 50 euros by train)

I think that duration of travel by train or car is the same.

I agree with you that flight saves time..

We can rent a car for 400 euros for 8 days..

It will be more flexy for us to visit other cities out of our trip route as we rent a car..

But we can not be sure about road conditions as you told..

Do the roads in Poland get icy on winter time?

We will land on Berlin at 02:00 a.m and plan to drive at 03:00 am. to Warsaw.

How is the road conditions between Berlin and Warsaw? (mountainous, level road )

Which other cities do you recommend us to visit in Poland out of our route?

I need your suggestions and feedback.

Thanks.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Poland

If the snow has come by the time you are here, then you will find it much quicker to travel by train than by road and it will also be much safer. I had to drive from the German border to Krakow last winter when it was snowing - it normally takes 3.5hrs but in the snow it took over 8hrs and I have 4 wheel drive.

With your timetable I doubt you will have time to see anything beyond the places you have on your list anyway.

The road between Berlin and Warsaw is flat but single lane for a large part of the way. This is also true for Warsaw-Krakow and Krakow-Prague (which also goes through the mountains). The roads do get very icy so you should make sure the car rental company gives you winter tyres.

Remember also that it will be dark by 4pm at that time of year.

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,369 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Poland

are you sure you have the price of berlin to warsaw right?.....that must be 1st class...go 2ond class....if you are just going to major cities in poland always go by train...you can take an over night train to prague...its rediculous to drive on this type of itenerary in poland

ISTANBUL
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Poland

Thank you very much for your kind replies.

After your suggestions we decided not to rent a car:)

We have bought tickets from 2nd class from Berlin to Warsaw for 50 euros for each person, flight ticket for 30 euros from Warsaw to Krakow.

We will have 2 days at Krakow, and now we have 1 day free before going to Prag. We will join a group in Prag at December 31.

We will stay in Krakow one more day or will go to another city..

Which places do you recommend us to visit on the way to Prag for one day?

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental in Poland

Although the Czech Republic really has a lot to offer, there is not anything special on Kraków- Prague route (as far as I know). I would suggest to do a one-day side trip as 2 full days in Krakow should be enough. The following destinations might be worth considering:

In Krakow area: Wieliczka salt mine; Auschwitz concentration camp; Zakopane in Tatra mountians; probably Warsaw which is 3 hours one way by train from Kraków;

From Prague: Karlstejn castle; cities of Plzen, Marianske Lazne, Kutna Hora or Karlovy Vary;

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
817 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental in Poland

Krakow - Prague route:

In Czech Republic: check out Olomouc (the historical capital of Moravia, very beautiful old town on three hills, UNESCO heritage Holy Trinity column, astronomical clock from the communist times. Mozart wrote there a symphony and REM mention it in one song :). Good to spend there an evening rather than a short rushy stop by day.

Brno: (the present capital) at least Petrov, Villa Tugendhat, Capucine monastery.

In Poland you can drive through Oswiecim (Auschwitz memorial) or stop in Cieszyn if you want to see an undiscovered, small and historic town.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental in Poland

I have driven in Istanbul and that is a piece of cake in comparison with the journey that you are contemplating by car, especially in the winter :)

For a good overview of train times all over Europe, look at www.idos.cz (English button bottom right)

Prague to Berlin costs €19 https:/… (but not yet available for your travel dates - wait until after 12th December)

Krakow to Prague cannot be bought on-line, and the direct day train is to be discontinued, but there will still be a night train - you will have to buy this on the day, or go through www.polrail.com

ISTANBUL
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental in Poland

Thanks for your contributions...

We are thinking of a side trip to Katowice , Oswiecym at our free day or staying one night in Olomouc.

Well, we all have bought tickets for our trip except night train from krakow to Prague.

From polrail, we were given a price for couchette (4 person compartment) at 1452 pln(350 euros valid until 05 December) for night train from Krakow to Prague.

Is this price reasonable?

Do we have other options to buy a night train from Krakow to Prague?

Thanks in advance..