We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torun - What to do and what to wear in August?

Killeen, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Torun - What to do and what to wear in August?

I'll be in Torun from August 1-7. Is it warm enough for tank tops, shorts, and sandals, or will I need a pair of jeans for the evenings?

I'm also wondering what the best way to get from Bydgoszcz to Torun is? I'll be flying into Bydgoszcz. Is there a train that will take me from the airport to Torun? Can I buy tickets at the airport if there is a train?

Also, what are the best things to do in Torun? I'm planning on going to the gingerbread museum and the planetarium, but any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

5 replies to this topic
Lidingo, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Silesia Province, Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
1,122 reviews
249 helpful votes
1. Re: Torun - What to do and what to wear in August?

Take a pair of jeans, nobody can predict the weather.

Here's how you can get to Toruń: https://plb.pl/en/contents/189

If you're not flying from Frankfurt, then take the public bus to the train staiton and then a train to Toruń, look for train connections here: http://rozklad-pkp.pl/en

Explore the old town, see the Teutonic castle, visit Esken Family House, go to the viewing platform on the other side of the river from the old town.

If you're going there only as a tourist then a whole week will be too long, stay a couple of days in Bydgoszcz too if you can. You'll even have enough time to go to Gdańsk.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Poznan, Southern Poland, Northern Poland, Lesser Poland Province
Level Contributor
3,238 posts
79 reviews
88 helpful votes
2. Re: Torun - What to do and what to wear in August?

Two castles... one teutonic, the other one Polish (less ruined, also less scenic)

A number of churches

Gingerbread museum

Walk in the Old Town, one of the oldest gothic old towns in the area

Walk from the viewing platform on the other side of the river to the Old Town, the bridge has been moved here from the area of Gdańsk,

Plenty of restaurants,

Open air museum near Jordanki,

Plenty of restaurants and bars, including apparently one of the oldest restaurants/inns in Poland,

Side trips

Zamek Bierzgłowski,

Ciechocinek (a spa town)

Bike trip to Unisław or Chelmża

A week may be too long, true. Unless you enjoy biking.

From Bydgoszcz to Toruń - take a train.

Killeen, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Torun - What to do and what to wear in August?

Thank you! This is all very helpful! Is the train station near the BZG airport, or do I have to take a taxi or bus to get there from the airport? Also, how many days would you suggest for Gdansk, if I decide to go there? Does it require more than just a day trip?

Lidingo, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Silesia Province, Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
1,122 reviews
249 helpful votes
4. Re: Torun - What to do and what to wear in August?

As I explained in my post #2, you need to take a bus (or a taxi) to the train station.

Gdańsk deserves more than a day trip, but at the same time you can see the major sights during one day.

Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
5. Re: Torun - What to do and what to wear in August?

It can be very hot in August but you can also have storms so be prepared for changeable weather. There is not a train station at Bydgoszcz airport but a taxi to the town centre station is not expensive. It is then a direct journey to Torun Glowny. That is on the otherside of the river to Torun old town and a bit of a walk. Again a taxi won’t break the bank. Torun is a lovely historic city but a couple of day is probably all you need. Definitely consider Gdansk, you can get a train from Torun. It is far more picturesque than you might think given the shipyard. The architecture is very similar to Amsterdam and it comes with a fascinating, if at times tragic, history. Places worth visitng are Westerplatte, the shipyard and Solidarity museum and if you have time Malbork castle and Stutthof concentration camp.

Reply to: Torun - What to do and what to wear in August?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Torun