We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krakow-Wroclaw-Poznan-Daytrip to Torun-Fly Poznan to Krakow?

Level Contributor
623 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Krakow-Wroclaw-Poznan-Daytrip to Torun-Fly Poznan to Krakow?

After reading all your helpful suggestions and using the links you sent me and doing some research on the Internet, I am considering the following and would appreciate your feedback very much.

Krakow to Wroclaw - spend 4 Nights in Wroclaw - take the train or bus to Poznan and spend 4 nights there.

From Poznan do a daytrip or an overnight trip to Torun during that 4 night 5 day period. (I cannot find a flight from Toron to Krakow.)

Fly from Pozan to Krakow. If I fly on OLTexpress airlines this flight currently costs 31 CAD at the (cheapest rate available). The cheapest rate on LOT airlines for the same flight currently is $109 CAD. I don't understand why the big difference in price. Neither airlines mentions airport name just Poznan to Krakow so I would understand that they use the same airports?

I checked on the Internet and there is a bus that goes from the airport to the city center in Poznan.

I welcome your comments, feedback, advice, suggestions, and look forward to hearing from you. I would like to book my flight tomorrow, if possible, in case the cheap flights sell out. I thank you in advance for your help.

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,298 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krakow-Wroclaw-Poznan-Daytrip to Torun-Fly Poznan to Krakow?

if you are flying out of montreal, why not take the direct flight from toronto to warsaw?....from warsaw you can access all the cities in poland much easier as its in the middle of the country as opposed to krakow which is in the south...in poland its best in most cases to take the train....one exception is the warsaw to gdansk trip or say gdansk to krakow....why fly from poznan to krakow?...it just doesnt make sense.....what about gdansk?....you dont need 4 nights in poznan or wroclaw especially if its at the expense of gdansk and warsaw.....take a bit more time to consider your itenerary and consider this....warsaw,torun,gdnansk,poznan,wroclaw,krakow,zakopane and back to warsaw

Level Contributor
623 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krakow-Wroclaw-Poznan-Daytrip to Torun-Fly Poznan to Krakow?

Thank you for your reply and advice which is very good, Casey. The thing is, I have already booked my return flight from London to Krakow on Easyjet.

I am flying from Montreal to London to visit family and have already booked a cheap flight on EasyJet, return, to Krakow. So now I have to plan my itinerary accordingly.

I guess I should have put together my itinerary before booking my flight on EasyJet and have probably gone about this backwards;)

I like to take my time in each city rather than do a quick visit and move on. I visit my family in London often and can return to Poland to see the cities I have not included on this trip, so can do Warsaw and Gdansk on a second visit to Poland and maybe go on to Dresden and Berlin flying into Warsaw and out of Dresden or Berlin on one of the budget airlines from London.

I have already booked my acommodation in Krakow, and Wroclaw and got a very good rate by confirming the booking without cancellation option.

So now I have 4 nights left after Wroclaw and since Poznan and Torun are "must-see" cities in Poland, I am thinking of goint to Pozan from Wroclaw and doing a daytrip to Torun from Poznan or maybe overnight in Torun and return to Poznan from where I can fly back to Krakow.

Is it feasible to do a daytrip or an overnight trip from Poznan to Torun by train?

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,298 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krakow-Wroclaw-Poznan-Daytrip to Torun-Fly Poznan to Krakow?

you could probably do torun as a day trip but it would be a rushed very long day so i dont recommend it....save it for when you return and visit gdansk........from poznan , as a day trip visit gniezno,the first capitol of poland....also a number of grand country estates to vist....hope you are going to take in zakopne in the mountains....2 hours south of krakow......from what i can see....why not do your trip like this......krakow,wroclaw,poznan,warsaw krakow.....also a big circle and you dont repeat a leg this way...the train from krakow to wroclaw takes forever....might be better to take a bus as the highway is good there....though they were suppose to upgrade the railroad tracks for the comming euro games in june

Level Contributor
623 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krakow-Wroclaw-Poznan-Daytrip to Torun-Fly Poznan to Krakow?

Casey, thanks a lot for your reply and good suggestions. I will save Torun for my next trip.

I like your suggestion of visiting Gniezno as a day trip from Poznan and will definitely do that. You mention a number of grand country estates to visit as daytrips from Poznan. Would you mind providing me with some names of the sites or towns, Casey? Then I can research them on the Internet.

Since I will be spending 4 nights in Poznan and as you suggested 4 nights is too much for Poznan, I would like to do some daytrips from there. I welcome your suggestions.

This morning, I booked my flight from Poznan to Krakow for 99 PLN ($32 CAD) which is an excellent price for the 1.5 flight.

Regarding Zakopane, yes, I will be doing a daytrip from Krakow to Zakopane. I plan on leaving Krakow early in the morning and spending the entire day in zakopane taking in the sights, going up in the cable car to the Tatra mountains and enjoying the scenery. I don't hike or ride a bike so I figured one day in Zakopane should suffice for me.

I will also be doing daytrips to visit Auchwitz, the Salt Mines, and the Black Madonna from Krakow. If you have any other suggestions for daytrips from Krakow, I welcome them as I have booked 8 days in Krakow.

Thank you for your suggestion of taking a bus from Krakow to Wroclaw. I will check this out. As well, I will check if an inexpensive local flight from Krakow to Wroclaw is available - that might work?

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,298 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krakow-Wroclaw-Poznan-Daytrip to Torun-Fly Poznan to Krakow?

first of all you are talking with mr. zakopane here....i looove the place....how it pains me that you are not overnighting there....lol...but i'll get over it.....zakopane is just not the sights....its also the culture....at night all the restaurants come alive with the music of the highlanders as they sing and play their unique music.....old poland is alive and well there as the natives revel in their old culture..its unforgettable....once you get there and see,smell and hear the place you will kick yourself for not staying longer!.....enough said about that.....rogalin,kornik and radzyna are 3 of the best palaces that come to my mind....but there are hundreds.....goggle palace wielkopolski for more info

Level Contributor
623 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krakow-Wroclaw-Poznan-Daytrip to Torun-Fly Poznan to Krakow?

Thank you very much for your suggestions, Casey. I will do some research on the palaces and decide which ones to visit. I will have the time. You have been very helpful and I appreciate it.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krakow-Wroclaw-Poznan-Daytrip to Torun-Fly Poznan to Krakow?

For day trips from Wroclaw (and other info) you can check the Top Questions above, especially "What to see, do, eat and drink in Wroclaw ? (General + day trips)". I strongly recommend you Klodzko as a whole day trip.

Level Contributor
623 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Krakow-Wroclaw-Poznan-Daytrip to Torun-Fly Poznan to Krakow?

Thank you, rocking_pony. I just read the Top Questions and the information on Klodzko and have included it in my itinerary. It is easy to get to and better yet once there the old city area and fortress are all within walking distance from the main bus station. If I take the train, I should make sure to get off at Klodzko Miasto. It sounds like a delightful place to visit. It will be interesting to explore the city tunnels.

Can I buy bus and tickets for my daytrips on the day itself or is it advantageous to buy them in advance? Do tickets get sold out?

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Krakow-Wroclaw-Poznan-Daytrip to Torun-Fly Poznan to Krakow?

I'm glad you like Klodzko, it's my hometown :) If you have any questions about Wroclaw or Klodzko regions, what else to see and do, don't hesitate to ask.

Tickets for local trains (Regio, InterRegio etc.), local buses and 2nd class TLK trains can be bought right before the departure, there is no need to book or buy them earlier cos there is no seat reservation (you buy your ticket and search for a free seat). Seat reservations are required on InterCity trains and 1st class TLK trains. You can buy them 2-3 days in advance when you will be in Poland, just go to the train station.

Tickets for "Polski Bus" can be purchased in advance via their internet site and it's recommended to do that for example 2-3 weeks in advance - the tickets can be cheaper if bought in advance and there is a limited number of seats in a bus so they can be sold out.

Level Contributor
623 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Krakow-Wroclaw-Poznan-Daytrip to Torun-Fly Poznan to Krakow?

Thanks so much for all your help, rocking_pony. I am sure I will have more questions as my research continues and I start to finalize my trip details and it is great to know that I can post my questions and look forward to answers to them. Being a solo female traveller, this means a lot to me and having detailed information about how to get to cities and their attractions makes me "comfortable" with visitng a new country.

Two more questions I have regarding purchasing train and bus tickets - would I be able to get by with English at the ticket counters? For local buses (day-trips) does one buy the ticket at a bus station, or on the bus?

I will use the Polski Bus, booking via their Internet site, wherever possible, but they only go to specific destinations.

From Wroclaw to Poznan, what type of train and ticket would you recommend? Or is it better to take a bus such as Casey suggested for my trip from Krakow to Wroclaw?

Get answers to your questions about Wroclaw