We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Little confused about currency please help

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
A Little confused about currency please help

What is the currency for Poland ? I think it's the zloty but my learned friend says that as Poland is now in the EU ,the currency is the Euro,please can someone advice me please.

We are off in 2 weeks and the outcome of this bet is a meal!!!.

If I am right is there 10 zloty to the £.

many many thanks,

MJT
London
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Little confused about currency please help

You are right and your learned friend is wrong. The currency is the zloty and there are about 5.7 to the £

Enjoy your meal!!!!

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
995 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Little confused about currency please help

Being in the EU does not mean you have to accept the Euro, look at Britain for example. Part of Poland's entry to the EU states that the will have to adopt the Euro at some point but this is likely to some time away with 2009 or 2010 touted as possible dates.

So MJT said the złoty is is still and will be for the forceable future the currency of Poland.

That meal will taste even better as it's free!!!

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
280 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Little confused about currency please help

I use the website www.xe.com it converts any currency to any currency.

Cuurently it is 1GBP = 5.77493 PLN

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,156 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Little confused about currency please help

Hi

You'll only get the xe rate if you use a Nationwide Visa debit card, any other form of exchange will be less zlotys for your pound.

If you don't have a Nationwide account the next best rate will be from Marks and Spencer, the worst are LLoydstsb, HSBC and any travel agent.

Jackie

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Little confused about currency please help

Or draw your money from an AMT as the rate is usually better than swapping money in the UK.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Little confused about currency please help

Or even an ATM!!!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,156 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Little confused about currency please help

Hi

ATMs are fine except most British banks charge about £2.00 everytime you use one, and they don't give you the full rate, it is always adjusted to their benefit, except for the Nationwide who give you the full interbank rate and do not charge you a penny.

So if you have a nat6ionwide card just take out a bit of cash at a time, with anyone else draw out as much as you need for your whole holiday.

Jackie

merseyside
Level Contributor
893 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Little confused about currency please help

Hello

Can somebody tell me if it will be better for me to wait until I get to Krakow to change my pound sterling to Zloty

Thanks

Skelton-in-Cleveland...
Level Contributor
304 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Little confused about currency please help

i usually get the bulk of my currency when i arrive in the countryi'm travelling to. i find that the rate tends to be better out there and you dont end up carrying loads of money on your outward journey...

i do however try to take about £50 worth of local currency, just in case, and this tends to last me a good two or three days.

hope that helps in some way!

merseyside
Level Contributor
893 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Little confused about currency please help

Spudfish

Thanks for your reply. That sounds good £50 lasting so long ! I will do as you have suggested. We dont intend to go overboard. I believe it a great place for bargains. Have you any tips on dos and donts?

Melynda.