We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Auschwitz - Birkenau - Confused!!

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Auschwitz - Birkenau - Confused!!

I want to visit both, however some questions i cannot see the answers to:

i will just catch the bus but it seems you cannot enter Auschwitz without a guide:

There are 2 of us - we dont want to be in a big group, so Do we order a guide online b4 we go or just get one there on arrival?

I cannot work out how u get from Auschwitz to birkenau - do you catch another bus? We dont want an all in one tour, just independantly get there etc

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Auschwitz - Birkenau - Confused!!

This will answer most of your questions http://1904loghouse.com/about/

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Auschwitz - Birkenau - Confused!!

After 10am @ Auschwitz One, you can only go with a grup or an Auschwtz guide. Group is 40zl for an English-speaking guide. Personal guide is 250-zl total. I'd reserve well in advance

A-B-A is by a free shuttle bus operated by the museum

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
3. Re: Auschwitz - Birkenau - Confused!!

Ok, so we can join a guided tour - Is this with a human being or just an audio guide you walk around with on your own? Is that what it means by 'individual'?

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Auschwitz - Birkenau - Confused!!

No. The 40zl tour is guided by a human and you have head sets so they can talk at a normal conversational volume.

The inidvidual tour is your very own personal guide.

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
5. Re: Auschwitz - Birkenau - Confused!!

group is 40zl for an English-speaking guide

Do we need to book online for this or is it easy to turn up and join on the day?

We go in 2 weeks

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: Auschwitz - Birkenau - Confused!!

You can't book the group tours in advance - it's turn up and go. You can only reserve the personal guides in advance

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
7. Re: Auschwitz - Birkenau - Confused!!

ok that makes things much clearer, much thanks for your early help :)

england
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Auschwitz - Birkenau - Confused!!

I've just used a company called Krakow Direct for a visit to this place. They are very good and you get a guided tour. They also incoporate your taxi transfer to the airport (if you need one). I recommend you do this visit justice and use a guide. Also, Krakow Direct will shuttle you between Auschwitz and Birkenau. You will easily find their website and can find out costs etc

East Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
126 posts
45 reviews
9. Re: Auschwitz - Birkenau - Confused!!

It is very easy to catch the minibus to Aushwitz and not taking the guided tour is a mistake. The guides are wonderful and a wealth of knowledge. Aushwitz 1 can be packed with people (it gets something like 1.2million people a year) so a guide truly helps. A personal guide could be a benefit for those spending more than five hours there or those who want to spend two days at Aushwitz-Birkenau, but for most the regular tour is more than enough to experience the hell of that place.

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Auschwitz - Birkenau - Confused!!

We visited A/B for the first time last Tuesday on public transport (12zl pp each way).

We arrived just before the 10am cut off point and so had the choice of whether to join the 10.30 group tour (40zl pp) or go round on our own with a mini guidebook you can purchase in various languages for 5zl and we made the snap decision to do a self guided tour.

Just my opinion, but I think if Polish or English is your 1st or 2nd language or you at least have a good understanding of either written language you can 'do' Auschwitz 1 by yourself as the guidebook includes a map of the camp and brief description of what is inside the buildings.

Also each significant outside area and each room contains detailed notices in Polish and English explaining what occurred there and/or what you are seeing although many things are, horrifically, self explanatory-I guess it depends how much background detail you personally feel you need and how much information is 'enough'.

Birkenau is different and in hindsight I would have preferred to have a guide, although to see all the camp I think you would need a private guide as I'm not sure the group one covers all areas.

Birkenau covers a vast area and there are not that many explanatory noticeboards and although we all have some idea of the unspeakable wickedness that occured in that place and the evil purposes of the train tracks, unloading ramp and now demolished gas chambers and crematoria there is a lot more to imagine than to see without the help of a guide.

As for getting between Auschwitz 1 and Berkanau there is a shuttle bus that picks up to the left of the car park as you come out of the cafe next to the ticket office.

This runs every half hour or so and is free whether you are on a guided tour or not -there are also plenty of taxis available which cost 15zl each way which is a good option if there are a few of you or you just don't fancy waiting around for the bus.

Get answers to your questions about Krakow