We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auschwith and Birkenau tour

Great Britain
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Auschwith and Birkenau tour

I am taking a group of 9 elderly persons in March and I am looking for the easiest and cheapest way to get to Auschwitz/Birkenau and back. We are staying in the Astoria in Krakow.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Auschwith and Birkenau tour

Nellynel, re the contraption in the firing yard, it was a wooden structure with a hook, which they used as a punishment/torture device, they'd tie prisoners' hands behind their backs and hang them from the hook, which would have been very painful and would rupture the tendons in their arms. They were then of course not fit for work so you know what would have happened then.

Think I must have struck lucky with a good guide from what other people have been saying - the tour never seemed rushed but it clearly did miss out a lot of buildings & exhibitions, the guide suggested doing these alone afterwards, these were more suitable for doing unguided anyway with big wordy displays, videos, artifact cases etc.

Even though the guided tour missed out a lot, it still took nearly 4 hours, so you really need to allow a lot of times to see both sites properly. I spent about 6 hours there, and would have spent longer but they were closing up. Looking at the tours on offer I couldn't see any that spent much more than about 4 hours there, the one my hotel was offering didn't leave Krakow till after 1100! Others left at 8am but got back at 2pm so couldn't have allowed more than 4 hours there as it's about an hour each way, or more if they have to travel round hotels picking people up.

Edited: 3:33 pm, January 07, 2013
12. Re: Auschwith and Birkenau tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Krakow