We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

salt mines advice

Scotland
Level Contributor
199 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
salt mines advice

After reading some of the negative reviews about WieliczkaI wonder if Bochnia is a better option.

On reading it would seem to me that with the queueing for tickets, the 3 hour tour and the queue for the lift we should really set aside a day for Wieliczkal. Any help would be appreciated. We will be in Krakow in June.

Krakow Free Walkative Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Good Cracow Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Krakow Direct Private Tours
Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
Cracow Free Tours Krakow
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: salt mines advice

Hi i have been to the salt mines 3 times and i really enjoy it there. Yes there is a wait to get tickets and for the lift upon return like everyone but i wouldn't say it's exceptionally long. Worth a visit i'd say

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: salt mines advice

Frankly, with time to get there and back, time to queue and time for a coffee/snack, 380 steps down to the start of the tours, then 400 more steps on the 2.5 km walk through the chapels, past the lakes, etc, anyone would be well advised to schedule very little else for the day they go to Wielizka. If you do not have 2/3 of a day to invest, then consider alternatives like, as you say, Bochnia.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: salt mines advice

John you always seem to have a better response than me lol

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: salt mines advice

Depends on the time of year you plan to visit.

At the moment, there are no queues for tickets and the tour lasts about 2hrs 10mins including the lift journey back.

25 minute journey each way means you only need to set aside a little over 3 hours.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: salt mines advice

Hey there Mateusz. I'm a relative newcomer to Poland, so I'm still doing my research, but I'm older (54) and disabled - heart problems, plus either walking with crutches or using a wheelchair - so I check all the access and duration before we visit places, or else I'm more conscious of them as we get about. As you'll know, Krakow is our nearest major city and an excellent place to visit and Wielizcka even has a disabled tour now - obviously NOT doing the near 800 steps and 2/5km, but still pretty good.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: salt mines advice

I see, older and wiser. So your British and moved to Poland? Yeah Krakow is wonderful i hoped to be there in February so not long now :-)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: salt mines advice

Handbadscotland i'm sure you could always try a tour company like Phil c as then it will be organised for you and there won't be as much waiting around and things. Probably alot quicker than going off your own back

Kraków
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
677 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: salt mines advice

You don't have to queue for your tickets anymore, you can buy them online.

https:/…ANG

Please note there are two routes available at the moment (not one as it was before).

uk
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: salt mines advice

Hi I went on 19th nov did the 2pm English tour didn't queue for tickets or lift ! As for whether to go or not depends on your interest I suppose

Kinallen.N.Ireland
Level Contributor
19 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: salt mines advice

Hi. We were at the mines today and I wasn't overly impressed. We took an individual tour and had to wait until the group tours got priority, the final straw was when we were kept queuing for the lift back to surface and the group tour was lead in front of are eight person group. Really strange organisation. Ps I worked in mines in Coventry.