We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Around as a Wheelchair User

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Around as a Wheelchair User

Hi everyone,

I am visiting Krakow next week and am looking for advice, please. I am sure someone will be able to help give me advice on transport to and from airport and best advice to visit auschwitz. There are many posts on transport, but as I am a wheelchair user I want to be sure I am correct in my plans.

I hope to travel from the airport by train, I understand it can be a big gap between plateform and train - is this gap in height didtance or both - I am traveling with my husband ( he is big and strong and used to draging me and chair around in places with little access) we will only have hand luggage, no suitcase, so my chair will be the only item to 'lug' around. Our hotel is near the station so we hope to walk there (Hotel Matejko). Do you think this is possible?

To get to Auschwitz, I understand there is a minibus/bus from near the station, however I am worried about being able to get on the bus if it is full, as I could not stand up for the length of journey involved! I have looked on various sites and are quoted from 140 - 180z per person, which is hugely more than if I could use the bus! Any ideas, advice or know how much a taxi would be, would a taxi be cheaper or dearer than a tour there?

Sorry to ramble on, but I hope it helps you all to help me.

Thanks in advance. xxx

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Matejko
Hotel Matejko
770 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
Krakow Free Walkative Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Cruising Krakow Bike & Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, Bike Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals
Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Around as a Wheelchair User

These web sites do not directly reply to your question but some hints might be useful:

http://www.krakow-info.com/disabled.htm

cracowonline.com/196,Amenities_for_disabled_…

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Around as a Wheelchair User

Thank you very much, the links are very informative for access to the tourist sites in Krakow.

Any other replies warmly welcomed too. xx

3. Re: Getting Around as a Wheelchair User

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, December 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Krakow