We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accidental Krakow Visit

Merseyside
Level Contributor
288 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Accidental Krakow Visit

My Liverpool / Budapest flights with Ryanair have been cancelled. I have rebooked 1 day earlier with Easyjet to Krakow (1st August). I need 1 nights central accommodation with parking?. I have been looking at hostels, but there is soooo much choice. Would the Novotel Bronowice be more appropriate (children / parking). Any other suggestions? We are a family of 4 at the beginning of our trip, 5 at the end. We would need a private bathroom for my husband. We will have an evening / morning but will need to leave soon after lunch as I realise it is a 6-7 hour drive to Budapest. Any suggestions for things to see / do on such a short trip? On our way back to Krakow airport our 14 year old son (who we will have retrieved in Pula) would like to see Auschwitz. From Balaton we will stay 1 night in Bratislava and perhaps 1 night in either Zilina or Bielsko Biala, or should we get all the way back to Krakow and go to Auschwitz as a detour on the way to the airport. There is a huge amount of driving during our 15 day holiday so I was hoping to avoid backtracking.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accidental Krakow Visit

There are a number of guarded car parks around - the closest one that I know of to the Old Town is on plac Biskupi, a 5 minute walk in to the centre from there. You can then take your pick of the hostels - I'd recommend Globtroter which is right in the middle of town, but as you say, there are loads to choose from.

As for must sees - I think you'll only really have time to wander around the Old Town and soak up the atmosphere. There's usually lots going on on the Rynek at that time of year. You could also try going into the Castle in the morning but it might be better to prebook tickets as they tend to get sold out in the high season.

You'll need at least 3-4 hrs at Auschwitz and Birkenau, which is a must see. Be aware that the Museum recommends that children under 14 don't visit though.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,931 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accidental Krakow Visit

Bratislava would be a long way out of your way, and there are nicer places to see on your route - on your way back just go straight up from Budapest through Banská Bystrica and up to Ružomberok (missing out Žilina as well), then up through Dolný Kubín and into Poland that way. However, count on it taking a lot longer than 6 hours as there are bottlenecks on the way, and you are sure to get lost on a couple of occasions, especially around Budapest, but it is a very scenic route through Slovakia/southern Poland and there are some very nice places to stop off - Banská Bystrica, for example, and a bit further up there is the Vlkolínec UNESCO world heritage site after you pass through the Donovaly ski resort. I reckon you will have had enough driving by the time you got to Ružomberok, where there is a very good hotel called the Hotel Kultura on the main square - they are bound to have spare room. Then continue the next day - you do not want to drive in Poland at night as it can be treacherous at the best of times. Here is a light-hearted look at things tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274723-i959-k2496… and more seriously fco.gov.uk/en/…poland . Naturally you want to get there in one piece :) You will need a Slovak motorway sticker and maybe also a Hungarian one as well (very expensive on-the-spot fines if you don't have one) - you can get these at petrol stations, and you can get 2-week versions.

You need a whole day ideally at Auschwitz (including getting there and back) so you should do that in a day trip from Krakow by bus/train, however I agree with the above - it is horrifying and a 14 year-old probably would not understand, but only you can make that judgment.

OR - it would be much easier and cheaper to get the direct night train from Krakow to Budapest – it should cost c. 60 euros, plus a couchette supplement of c. 20 Euros each. As there are several of you you could probably get a group ticket, saving some money. That way you save on a hotel for the night and all that driving and you wake up refreshed in the morning, ready for sightseeing. If you feel the need to hire a car, do it in Hungary. I hear that the Hungarian police like to 'keep an eye out' for Polish cars – they certainly do in the Czech Republic :)

Hope this helps!

Merseyside
Level Contributor
288 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accidental Krakow Visit

Thanks ewainkrakow, Globtroter looks good but I quite like the look of Kadetus and its proximity to the Castle... Definately think we'll take you advice re Itinerary in Krakow, now need to find out how to prebook tickets for the castle.

Unsure what to do with my 12 and 9 year old when we take our 14 year old to Auschwitz.

Thanks GCEK We travel back from the Kelthsey / Gynesdias (both spelt wrongly?!)end of Balaton so Bratislava looked logical from there and avoided a second trip to Budapest, and a different route / something different to see. From there the next day we could infact get all the way to Oswiecem and stay? We might be able to do part of our Auschwitz visit in the evening then some more the following morning as we dont have a full day. Our 14 year old is pretty mature and has been interested in the second world war since he was about 7/8 years old so I think he'll be OK. We could take it in turns hanging out at the hotel (or in town!?) with our 9 and 12 year old. Is there anything else of Interest there? We could do your route in the other direction on the way down to Budapest? Thanks for the advice about motorway stickers, I was aware of the Hungarian ones but have obviously only just added Slovakia / Poland driving to our trip. Slightly anxious about the driving / polish car in Hungary thing....Trains definetly wont work, as we have 3 stops in Croatia too.

4. Re: Accidental Krakow Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, September 14, 2009