We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krakow to Auschwitz, train or bus?

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NC
1 post
Save Topic
Krakow to Auschwitz, train or bus?

Does anyone have thoughts on which is better to take: train or bus? Does anyone have a link to the schedule? We're looking to get there early and stay late.

Thanks,

DW

UK
Level Contributor
538 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krakow to Auschwitz, train or bus?

Hi, we took the bus it cost 22PLN each and took 1hr 30 ish. The bus drops you right outside Auschwitz and picks you up from the same spot. Our bus left at 08.40 but I thing they run every 20-30 minutes. The stop you need to look out for will be Oswiecim.

Hope this helps.

Laurence

west sussex
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krakow to Auschwitz, train or bus?

We took the train - it cost 22 zl return for two. The journey was about an hour and a half outward and a bit longer coming back. The trains aren't that frequent - we caught the 9.15 am out and the 15.39 return.

You do have to get a bus or taxi from the train station to Auschwitz but we shared a cab (12 zl) with another UK couple.

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
267 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krakow to Auschwitz, train or bus?

hi

bus would be my preferred option. If you take a look at some old postings there are links to the bus timetables

jurneyman

Liverpool
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krakow to Auschwitz, train or bus?

We planned to take the bus, arrived at the bus station to check the timetable on the boards and discovered that we had just missed a coach leaving from the G stands in the top area of the bus station.

So, thanks to info from posters on here, we just went down to the basement of the bus station (there is a lift and stairs) to stand D8. Here we caught a minibus - it says clearly that it is going to Oswiecim Muzeum and has timetables and fares written on the side.

One way cost 9PLN per person and drops you off at the back entrance of the museum, so it's just a five minute walk to the museum entrance itself.

The minibus drivers claim that it is 20 minutes quicker than the main bus it took about an hour and a quarter I think. They gave us timetables for the return journey. I think though that there is more than one company running the minibus service because we went back to the place where the bus dropped off expecting to wait for half an hour but actually a minibus came along in around ten minutes.

The journey was fine, a modern minibus, safe and no problems. We were a little confused about where to catch the bus back as there is also a public bus stop on the main road, but the mini bus did pick us up exactly where it had dropped us off.

There were a few tourists on this bus but it also carries members of the public. Lots of Polish students so I'm guessing it must be a cheap way to travel ;)

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krakow to Auschwitz, train or bus?

I'm planning on getting a bus to Auschwitz, and maybe a train back. This is because I think the trains run later back to Krakow than the buses? Is this correct? Also, the train station looks nearer to Birkenau (which, as most people it seems, I will be visiting secondly), so wont be too long a walk to the train station in any case.

Another point, if you got the train to Oswiecim, would you be better off walking to see Birkenau first, then getting the shuttle bus to Auschwitz?

Hemel, UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krakow to Auschwitz, train or bus?

<<<would you be better off walking to see Birkenau first, then getting the shuttle bus to Auschwitz?>>>

Must do Auschwitz first!

Auschwitz is more a museum and informs you on the horrid things that went on. It describes the scale of it all, but that does not hit you till....

you then make the trip to Birkenau. The enormity of it, puts it all into perspective.

I found this the best way to see it. I think others may agree.

Mark

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krakow to Auschwitz, train or bus?

Can you tell me a bit more info about the minibus to Auschwitz; plan on going next week. Does the minibus leave just from the main station in Krakow (name?); can you buy tix on board; is there A/C, loo onboard? Sorry, strange questions but I'm a yank who's never been to Poland and trying to get some info. Thanks.

newcastle england
Level Contributor
167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Krakow to Auschwitz, train or bus?

Hi Dmw3,

We have just returned from Krakow and used the minibus to Auschwitz and it was fairly easy.We got a timetable from tourist information (sorry cant find it) but the museum opens at 8am till 7pm June through to August.It takes an hour and quarter to get there but I think it takes just as long on the train.

We found the easiest way to get to the mini bus is to go to Pawia (a main street by the railway station) where you will see a large modern shopping complex called Galeria Krakowska.Go through the glass doors into complex and there are a set of escalators go down to the basement level.As you get off the escalator you will see another set of glass doors about 10 yards in front of you go through the doors and there's a passageway to the basement level of the bus station. At the end of the passage you will see the bus stands to your right you want D8 the minibus will have Oswiecim museum on the front.Confirm the destination with the driver who will let you know when you get there.

It cost 9 zloty each.

On the way we passed the railway station at Oswiecim and it seamed about 5 minutes away from the museum in the bus.

newcastle england
Level Contributor
167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Krakow to Auschwitz, train or bus?

Hi Yankinitaly,

The minibus we took was modern,only had about 14 seats, got a bit crowded cos it also stopped on the way to pickup and drop off local people.It was a hot day but was comfortable enough and didn't have a toilet. Pay driver on boarding 9 zloty each.

We got the local bus back,older bigger single deck bus that goes from inside Auschwitz itself back to main bus station in Krakow.Took about 30 minutes longer coming back cost 10 zloty again pay the driver.

10. Re: Krakow to Auschwitz, train or bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, September 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Krakow