We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krakow in One Day

Calgary Alberta
7 posts
Save Topic
Krakow in One Day

Good Day,

We will be flying in to Krakow for one day in September to go see Aushwitz and hopefully view other parts of Krakow. What are some other sites that are worthwhile seeing while we are there?

We have never been there and i am of Polish decent so we are definitly keeping our ears and eyes open to new places.

Thanks

Steve

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,463 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krakow in One Day

one day?.....good luck....forget about aushewitz and concentrate on the old town area

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
500 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krakow in One Day

Visiting Auschwitz is going to take you the better part of the day - it is also an emotional experience so after visiting you may not feel like doing a lot except sit and contemplate.

If you do have time then the a stroll around Market Square (Rynek Glowny), St. Mary's Church in the square and the Sukiennice (Cloth Hall) - all very pleasant and will not take long. Or you could wander down to Wawel Hill although you really need at least a couple of hours to visit the castle and cathedral there.

If your main intention of the trip is to visit Auschwitz then I would solely concentrate on that and maybe return to Krakow for a quick drink or meal afterwards - depending on flight times - or simply visit Auschwitz and not go into Krakow - which really needs a lot more than one day to explore - and leave visiting the city itself until a later trip.

Alternatively if your visit is to sample a bit of Polish culture and life then I would concentrate solely on Krakow and try and see the sights I mentioned above, the streets of the Old Town off the Market Square plus take a walk through Kazimierz, the old Jewish area.

Calgary Alberta
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Krakow in One Day

Thanks for your help folks. This is all tenative for now but i think we will be arriving at 9:00 in the morning and not leaving the following day until an evening flight, so that will give us about 2 days. Aushcwitz is a definite as i have always wanted to go there, but i will make sure to keep in mind the rest of the sites you mentioned.

Is it worthwhile to go visit the salt mines?

Thanks

Steve

Surrey
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Krakow in One Day

I frequently take friends to the salt mine and all have loved the experience, so I would definitely recommend it. I always arrange to go early evening (5.00pm english-speaking tour - at this time of the year there may be later ones) leaving the day free for other things - the mine is underground so I think evening is best, finishing in time for evening meal. If you Google Wieliczka salt mine, Krakow their site will show all details of tour times, ticket prices etc and you will also get a good idea of what the whole thing is about and whether or not it's your type of thing.

If you need further info re. places to see, restaurants, taxi service etc I can send you further details if you message me directly. I prepared such a list for friends and have kept it on file for future reference, so could send you a copy.

Have a great trip - Krakow is lovely, full of great restaurants, classical music, jazz clubs, museums and of course history and beautiful architecture etc etc etc - so it's a pity you have only a couple of days there.

PS I am not a Krakow rep on commission - I live in the Uk but visit regularly because I love the place - am off to Gdansk soon though to sample somewhere else but I can't imagine it being as good as Krakow.

Calgary Alberta
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Krakow in One Day

Excellent! Thank you for the info. I will shoot you off a message in the next month or so as our planning should get down to some better detail.

Thanks again

Steve

USA
Level Contributor
81 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krakow in One Day

Auschwitz trip will take you 6-7 hours, you can visit the old city, visit the Jewish Quarters and that all. After visiting Auschwitz is hard to have a good time.

I was born in Poland to a holocaust survival parents.

7. Re: Krakow in One Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, September 04, 2009