We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train question

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
train question

I was investigating going from Krakow....thursday in Sept.....to Vienna in daytime by Train.

Looks like on Polrail there are at least 2 stops ie with tight connections so very gunshy of missing and being stranded.

Maninseat 61 had mentioned to Katowice then straight thru to Wein but not available as a one stop in morning.

Any other suggestions

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
7 replies to this topic
Greater Melbourne...
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: train question

There is no direct daytime connection by train from Krakow to Vienna - only with some changes on the way.

There is one direct night time train. In any case they are NOT bookable ONLINE. Only a ticket reseller like Polrail can organize tickets for you for additional fee. However you can buy those tickets at any rail station in Poland that sell international tickets. Most of them do anyway. Sorry that is reality with international rail connections from Poland at this moment. Travel Safe.

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Poland
Poland
Europe
Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Poznan, Southern Poland, Northern Poland, Lesser Poland Province
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train question

Poilrail is not a railway operator, it's a broker, even if reputable (at least here :D), it's better to use the sources :D

Check https://rozklad.pkp.pl for the timetable in Poland, it is enough for your planning.

And of course Ceske Drahy: https://www.cd.cz/en/spojeni-a-jizdenka/

Alternatively, check the www.bahn.de, for a "neutral" version (I always use that for international planning).

You can take it from there.

Edited: 1:32 am, June 11, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Poland
Poland
Europe
Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Poznan, Southern Poland, Northern Poland, Lesser Poland Province
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train question

I thought Leo Express may offer you something, but it's too early yet... I think they will start to operate this route next year (?)

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train question

Thanx Macieii.....will trawl through the options.

Was even thinking .....to much running around changing and even thought of looking into the "My Day Trip " car option.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train question

Prague is not a day trip destination from Kraków. It is a relatively decent drive, though, nothing scenic, but rather comfortable.

You may need to return to Kraków after your visit, as the one way rental charges will most likely be pretty painful for you.

Edited: 2:59 am, June 11, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train question

.....no it was a direct day trip direct to Vienna from Krakow where we are staying on.

Includes 2 stops at a Castle Town and a Wine village.

site is called My Day Trip......and does not look to bad but a lot more expensive than train.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Krakow
Krakow
Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train question

Ah I didn't get your point :D That day trip stuff doesn't look like a successful startup :) Take the train.

Reply to: train question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted