We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have prices gone way up???

ireland
Level Contributor
454 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Have prices gone way up???

Absolutely love Krakow. Been there twice last year, and have been telling everybody about how much we enjoyed it, and couldn't wait to go back. Prices were brilliant - hotels, restaurants etc.

Last week I booked us a week in July with plans to get dental work done (Thanks WelshGooner for the advice)

When I went to book an Hotel, I was shocked to discover that Hotel prices have increased by 60%. I emailed hotels directly where we had stayed previously. Looks like the going rate is 400PLN (That's 100 Euro per night)

I refuse to spend E100 in Dublin or London on accommodation where costs are high, so how can it be justified to charge these prices in Krakow where costs are so much lower?

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
London
London
England, UK
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have prices gone way up???

Well, I've just booked the apartment that I stayed in last year for the same price, 120 PLN/night. No change there.

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
500 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have prices gone way up???

Hi - we've just booked the hotel we normally stay in (for the end of Sept) and the price is the same as usual - 95euro for a double room - which is about £64.00 thus £32.00 each. Not a bad price I feel for a hotel 2 minutes walk from the Rynek Glowny

The price hasn't gone up in the three years we have been going to Krakow - and it's still less off season, 85euros for a double. Where do you normally stay and what proce do you normally pay?

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
992 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have prices gone way up???

It does seem strange that the price of hotels you have looked at have suddenly rocketed. Food prices have more or less stayed the same here since I first visited over three years ago. I am unaware of why this price rise has occured, the only thing I can think of is there might be something here in Kraków that week and hotels are cashing in on that. Certainly, I would look at getting an apartment if that is the case as there seems to be a glut of them here and they offer great value for money.

Surrey
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Have prices gone way up???

We stayed at The Globtroter recently, which was very inexpensive and previously at The Saski Hotel and an apartment of Florianska booked through Sodispar Apartments - all very inexpensive, excellent and very close to the Market Square. I haven't noticed any obvious price increases, though I guess they will be influenced by growing demand.

I go to Krakow regularly with friends and find it not only a fantastic place to be but also incredibly INexpensive in terms of accommodation, food, entertainment, culture etc - very affordable for frequent visits. We always eat very well, enjoy excellent classical music concerts as well as live jazz and the multitude of other activities.

Last friday I went with friends to an art exhibition in London and then to the theatre (cheapest 'up in the gods' seats). We had a modest lunch and an indifferent pasta supper at The Spaghetti House plus tea/coffee here and there and bus, train and taxi rides - all pretty basic stuff. At the end of the day I was absolutely horrified by how much the day had cost - very expensive! I'm not trying to draw a comparisson here between London and Krakow because obviously London, which I love, is in a league of its own but in value for money terms they are worlds apart.

To some extent it depends though how 'up-market ' you want your accommodation to be as to how much you will pay. If you have never tried renting an apartment and are open to the suggestion I would highly recommend the one we booked through Sodispar on Florianska - very spacious, quiet, clean and above all central.

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
London
London
England, UK
Globtroter Guest House
Globtroter Guest House
743 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
Saski Hotel
Saski Hotel
240 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
wroclaw
Level Contributor
375 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Have prices gone way up???

Perhaps you had a special offer last time you visited.

If you're looking at 5 star chain hotels like Sheraton they're generally in similar prices everywhere in the world (maybe 10 pound more expensive in london for a room half smaller then in Poland:))

If you don't feel like spendin 70 pounds for a five star why don't you just book a cheaper one. I'm sure that prices have not gone so hight.

Have fun mate

Mentioned in this post
Poland
Poland
Europe
ireland
Level Contributor
454 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have prices gone way up???

Thanks all. No we weren't looking for 5 star or Western style hotels. We're going to be out most of the time, so really we just want a comfortable bed, a shower and maybe a kettle for the occassional coffee!!

We had stayed previously at the Pollera and Europeski, and it was during Feb and Nov so maybe explains the price diff.

Anyway, I have booked the Exeter apt., on Golebia with Sodispar. Very happy with the location, and the photos on the website look fine.

The Apartment for the week is costing Euro 249. The Pollera offered us discount, and I would encourage anybody wanting to stay in a Polish hotel at a good location to stay there. We could not find any fault with it when we stayed there. However, my final decision was based on cost, and the same week at the Pollera, including the discount, would cost us Euro 650. I didn't get a discounted price from the Europeski

400 Euro would go a very long way in spending money in the Restaurants and Bars, and that is how we plan to spend it !!

BTW, If anybody has anything to add to the Dentistry, I would appreciate your input; as I am furthering my research on that now.

Thanks

Geraldine

Mentioned in this post
Exeter
Exeter
Devon, UK
Pollera
Pollera
344 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
529 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have prices gone way up???

Hi Geraldine,

I'm interested in the dentistry aspect of your trip! I've just forked out £200 in the last two weeks for 3 fillings at my usual dentist, can you provide any info on how much dental work charges are out in Krakow? How do the logistics work?! Clearly you can't phone up a couple of weeks ahead of an appointment as the cheap flight would've been snapped up long ago! But combining it with a trip away could be a corking idea.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
992 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have prices gone way up???

There are plenty of dentists here in Kraków. The only one I have been to is Royal Medical, and it was excellent. £20 for a compound filling and the staff were friendly, very professional and spoke good English:

http://www.royalmedical.pl/index.php?l=en

USA
Level Contributor
359 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Have prices gone way up???

Yes, I was going to say earlier that you must have traveled in the low season and it turns out that you did. February and November happen to be some of the least expensive months to travel there.

July and August are in high season and the prices will be slightly higher.

ireland
Level Contributor
454 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have prices gone way up???

Ok. One would expect a slight price difference between low and high season, and take in to account special offers, and last minute discounts etc.

What surprises me are not any small differences, and that is what I wondered about. For our first trip, I had originally decided to book an apartment, but there were an abundance of hotels at surprisingly good prices, so we went for the hotel option. Second visit, similiar story.

This time I have booked an apartment, and those prices have not changed at all.

I found the confirmation e-mail for the hotel we stayed 25/11/06 for three nights. It cost E36 per night. Same hotel for same dates in 2007 is E64 per night. In July it is E112.