We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation location

UK
Level Contributor
284 posts
Accommodation location

Hi,

Looking to visit Krakow for our first time in June, for 4 nights. We are planning to see all the ‘standard’ first time tourist sites. We are currently looking at Airbnb for our accommodation and have seen several options but top of list at the moment is one that is a couple of minutes’ walk from the Krakow Ghetto Memorial. How suitable would this location be for first time visitors to the city, we are both extremely active so walking isn’t an issue, I am just conscious of spending a lot of time going back and forth. Also more than open for some suggestions of other areas we should be focussing on.

Thanks

Si

Krakow Free Walkative Tour
Historical & Heritage Tours
Tour Polonia
Historical & Heritage Tours
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
118 reviews
1. Re: Accommodation location

I'm assuming this is Heroes Square, which is actually in the Jewish district. Kazimierz is about 20 minute walk from the old town. Although most people enjoy this part of Krakow I personally wouldn't recommend it for a first visit. The old town (Stare miasto) in particular the main square (rynek) is the main hub. But of course many people do stay in Kazimierz and thoroughly enjoy it. I just feel its better to familiarise with the old town and all it has to offer before venturing further. You can experience life on the square, the horse and carriage rides, cloth hall, Wawel Castle and numerous restaurants and bars.

Whilst Kazimierz has a lot to offer I prefer to cover it as a walking tour in daytime and stay around the old town at night. .but it really comes down to personal taste.

We have stayed in a few Airbnb apartments around Malopolskie and Karmelicka areas. If you plan to stay around the square then Grodzka, Florianska, Tomasza, sw Jana are all in that vicinity. If you are unsure how far out your Airbnb apartment is just use the square as your marker. Krakow is very much a walkable place so even five-ten minutes walk will keep you in the central areas.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Accommodation location

For the first visit I would recommend staying closer to the Old Town and Main Square.

Jewish district is closer to Vistula river and has specific atmosphere that some locals enjoy more than of a touristy Old Town, however as a first timer most of your points will be 20 minutes away (Main Square, Underground museum, St Mary's church, Wawel Castle, etc etc)

Krakow is rather packed so if you're ok with walking you can't do wrong by staying near Old Town.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Accommodation location

Ghetto Heroes Square, is in Podgorze, across the river from Kazimierz, whilst it is a very interesting area i agree with others that maybe not the best location to stay for your first visit. Kazimierz would be fine or the old town of course.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
118 reviews
4. Re: Accommodation location

I stand corrected on Podgorze Phil C :). However the distance is but a few minutes apart, Ssc32. It is of course an interesting area but I still think the old town would be more preferable in getting your bearings.

5. Re: Accommodation location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 04, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Krakow