We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Białowieża Forest

Siggiewi, Malta
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Białowieża Forest

Hi. We are planning a trip to poland in April from Malta. Main reason is to visit Białowieża Forest. What would be the closest airports please in poland? And do you thing you can arrive by public transport from the airports to the forest please?

12 replies to this topic
Surrey, England
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Białowieża Forest

We visited Białowieza Park a while ago so perhaps things have changed a bit since. We flew to Warsaw and then rented a car and drove all the way there. I suppose you can take a train to Hajnowka and maybe get a taxi from there to Białowieza. I hope others can advise on the latest options.

Do you plan to stay there overnight? If so perhaps best to avoid the Easter holidays as hotels are really expensive. We stayed there for Easter hols and had to book for 4 nights minimum as the hotel had some special Easter package and wouldn't let us book a room otherwise. This may actually not apply for bed & breakfast places.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Poznan, Southern Poland, Northern Poland, Lesser Poland Province
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Białowieża Forest

I don't think you can get there by public transport in a reasonable time. Rented car will be the fastest option.

Especially that getting around Białowieża is easier with a car.

If not, then

- the nearest airport will be either Warsaw or Modlin,

- there are 2 buses per day departing from Warsaw

- there are a number of buses departing from Białystok (get there by train from Warsaw),

- there is a train from Białystok to Czeremcha, and from there you could take another train to Hajnówka - and from there a bus or a taxi.

Edited: 5:05 am, January 10, 2017
Siggiewi, Malta
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Białowieża Forest

Thanks so much. unfortunately no direct flight to warsaw. We will be booking a flight to gdansk or Poznan probably. Quite a long drive to rent a car from there so considering other options. I saw that you can take a train to Bialystok. Then from there can we get a direct bus to Bielawieza? How efficient is such a transfer?

Thanks once again

Vildbjerg, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Białowieża Forest

Polish journey planner: https://en.e-podroznik.pl/

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Białowieża Forest

@Maria C are you planning to travel in early April or late April? There's a chance of snow in early April. When we went there a few years ago in April at Easter there was so much snow it all looked more like Christmas. So try to keep your travel plans flexible and perhaps don't go to Białowieza when the weather isn't good. Perhaps choose a different tourist attraction which is more accessible.

Gdansk is very beautiful and there's a great Gothic castle nearby in Malbork, just a short trip by train from Gdansk.

Edited: 7:16 am, January 13, 2017
Vildbjerg, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Białowieża Forest

When my companion and I went there in June 1998 it was nice warm. A few kilometers west of Białowieża is a wildlife park. Close to Białowieża is Białowieża National Park.

Warszawa Lotnisko Chopina = Warsaw Chopin Airport.

Vildbjerg, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Białowieża Forest

Direct bus from Białystok to Białowieża: www.voyagertrans.pl/en/rozklady-jazdy-6

Vildbjerg, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Białowieża Forest

Check the Polish Journey Planner for accurate departure times for the bus from Białystok to Białowieża.

Vildbjerg, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Białowieża Forest

Bike rental in Białowieża http://cs.bialowieza.pl/en/bikes/

Vildbjerg, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to Białowieża Forest

About The Białowieża Forest and bike rental etc. http://www.turystyka-rys.pl/index.html

Reply to: Traveling to Białowieża Forest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bialowieza