We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unsure whether to visit. Please help

MAnchester
Level Contributor
272 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Unsure whether to visit. Please help

Hello, I have visted Poland easily over twenty times now. Krakow x 12 times, Poznan, Warsaw, Gdansk, Sopot, Gydinia, Wroclaw, Zakopane x 3, Lublin etc. I have looked at Szczecin and im thinking of taking my girlfriend (Her first time to Poland) for May bank holiday for 3 nights.

I am wondering if it has the same sort off old Polish/German feel as the other cities I have visited? I love the old town squares and the different culture.

Also does Szczecin have good bars, pubs, clubs and restraunts where we can spend our evenings?

Also please could some one advise me on what we can do during the day?

Thanks

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unsure whether to visit. Please help

See our replies to this post from a few days ago - there are pictures in the page I linked to tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274736-i6698-k6…

Yellowknife, Canada
Destination Expert
for Yellowknife
Level Contributor
313 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unsure whether to visit. Please help

Szczecin is really no different than other Polish cities when it comes to atmosphere etc. It can probably seem less lively and crowded, which is not always a bad thing. If Poznan or Krakow are great for stags etc, Szczecin would be certainly a lovely place for a quiet relaxing weekend getaway with the girlfriend.

The old town in Szczecin is not what you may expect - in fact it has been originally destroyed in the war and re-built from scratch in the 1990s but it is getting better and better with each year passing. Some really nice pubs and restaurants in there as well as a tiny Museum of History of Szczecin if you're into history etc.

For a romantic weekend I would suggest the following: Jasne Blonia/ Kasprowicza Park area for a lovely stroll/ picnic or refreshing ice cream (there's a little cafe near the town hall - called Castellari - one of the longest operating cafes in Szczecin, known for amazing great quality desserts). There's also a beautiful Rose Garden nearby which often holds cultural events at the weekends in the summer. Another lovely area is Waly Chrobrego - just walk along the promenade or sit on one of the benches along it and enjoy this quaint lovely place. If you're there in the afternoon, I would also suggest heading to Ladoga Boat-Restaurant to one of the two bars for some cocktails or some original Russian cuisine in their restaurant. Another nice idea is a visit to the cathedral and its viewing deck for great views, then head to Tkacka Street and towards the Pomeranian Castle for a visit. The castle is known to host some fab cultural events (concerts, opera etc) as well as quality exhibits from around the world - check their website to see what's on during your visit:

http://zamek.szczecin.pl/?lang=en

If the weather is really hot and the time allows, I would head to either Głebokie Lake (tram no 9 from Brama Portowa - Harbour Gate, approx. 25 min journey, get off at the last stop and the entrance to the lake area is few metres from the tram stop). Another option would be to take a train to the Coast - in an hour and a half you can be on a nice beach somewhere in Międzyzdroje or Świnoujście.

And finally if into shopping, get your girlfriend to some of the jewelry shops (e.g. in Galaxy SC or Kaskada SC) - try shops like Kruk, Apart and maybe Salon TERPIŁOWSKI or Artpol - they all offer great quality and often cheap silver, gold and amber jewelry. Enjoy:)

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Unsure whether to visit. Please help

Hi Phil! Have done exactly what you're planning and am having a long weekend here in Szczecin, it's truly beautiful with an unhurried and chilled out atmosphere, the greenery is stunning, the flowers are blooming and after all the advice I've been given here on this forum we've got more than enough to do to fill the time we are here! Enjoy your trip!

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
459 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unsure whether to visit. Please help

@OP: Did you think of Torun instead? One of the nicest medieval old towns in Poland (not destroyed during WW2).

4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Unsure whether to visit. Please help

Justine, you seem to be really knowledgeable about Szczecin, do you know if there is any way of having a boat ride here? All this water, seems a shame not to explore some of it! Thank you!

Yellowknife, Canada
Destination Expert
for Yellowknife
Level Contributor
313 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unsure whether to visit. Please help

Hello There and apologies for the delayed response, I was away myself! It is indeed possible to get a boat trip on Odra River. There's at least 2 bigger boat companies offering trips along the river. They wouldn't be very fancy unfortunately and with probably no commentary but the views are quite lovely as the river area hasn't been developed too much as yet, so it's all nature you're looking at. All the boats are departing from Jana z Kolna Street which is just the riverfront. You can walk down the stairs from Waly Chrobrego, walk across the street and I believe at least one of the boats should be there (the other one may be docked a little bit further down the river - within 5 min walk from Waly Chrobrego towards the Main Railway Station). If you fancy you can also do kayaking in Szczecin, on either Odra or along its canals. Haven't done it myself but it's supposed to be great.

7. Re: Unsure whether to visit. Please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, April 16, 2015