We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oliwa Cathedral and Westerplatte

Which Gdansk hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Oliwa Cathedral and Westerplatte

Hi Tripadvisors ,

Is it possible to vist both sights by public transport in one day ?

And if so how long would it take as we are only in Gdansk for one night.

We are staying in the old town.

Many Thanks

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oliwa Cathedral and Westerplatte

Hi,

Yes, it is possible.

You can take train or tram to Oliwa

and bus no. 106 or in summer season boat to Westerplatte.

Kind regards

Malgorzata

london
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oliwa Cathedral and Westerplatte

Thanks Malgorzata.

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oliwa Cathedral and Westerplatte

take the tram to oliwa...its a charming and interesting ride....then get out and walk about 5 minutes in the direction of the church....you'll come accross the park first.....walk through this as its one of the most charming and beautiful parks you'll ever see....also..if the boats are running when you are there,use them to see westerplatte...goes by the famous gdansk ship yards....and while you are waiting to return its nice to sip a beer while watching all the boats come and go

london
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oliwa Cathedral and Westerplatte

Thanks casey 128 for the advice.

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oliwa Cathedral and Westerplatte

Both Malgorzata and casey are right. It is easy and very cheap to travel in Gdansk. Both places are located not far from the historical Main Town and you can get there easily using public transport. Preplan your trip as organ demonstrations are made several times a day, mainly in the morning. Take a cruise in a galleon-style boat to Westerplatte . You will enjoy it as the narrative is made in English, then stroll about 10 -15 minutes to Westerplatte Battlefield . There is an interesting outdoor exhibition in English. After the visit take a local bus No. 106 to return to the city center. You can also buy a special 24-hour ticket (bus and tram).

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oliwa Cathedral and Westerplatte

Of course it is. Look on Google Earth. They're not that far from each other. Gdansk isn't that big. I always go for a few weeks, so I like to spread it out, but it is possible to see both in one day, especially if you don't plan to see anything else on the way. You can take a boat from Old Town to Westerplatte, and see Old Town too. It shouldn't take you more than 4 hours, it doesn't take a lot of time at the cathedral, Westerplatte a little longer, if you want to see everything. I'd deffinately adding Old Town to your list. It's worth it.

Also, if you're going in summer, it doesn't get dark 'til around 10:30, so time won't be an issue. 1 day is enough to all the main sites.

singapore
Level Contributor
381 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oliwa Cathedral and Westerplatte

I will be be going in Sept and hope the daylight will be up to 10.30 pm as I hope to attend an organ recital @ 8 pm in Oliwa Cathedral. If this is not possible by public transport then I will visit Oliwa Cathedral in the daytime and hope to catch a free recital which is available 3x a day. Can someone please let me know what are the times of the recital so that I can time myself to be there in the day for the free recital?

On that day I will be taking a tram to Oliwa Cathedral. However I want to make sure by doing the correct thing. Do I need to validate the tram ticket?

As I will be in Gdansk in Sept, can I take a boat ride to Westerplatte from Oliwa Cathedral? Is this still considered the peak summer season? I would like to take the boat ride to see the famous Gdansk shipyard.

Then I will head back to the Old Town for the evening. Does this sound possible for a day outing?

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oliwa Cathedral and Westerplatte

10th of September, surise 6am, sunset 7pm.

For sunrise/set times please type "sunrise times Gdansk" in google and you will get several pages where you can check it.

Oliwa is easily accessible by public transport but 10:30pm is just about time when trams make the last day rides. Later you need to take SKM commuter train from oliwa to the old town.

Tram timetables can be found here: http://www.ztm.gda.pl/hmvc/

Trams #6,11,12. The closest tram stop to cathedral is "Obroncow Westerplatte".

Recitals? I hope someone else can help on that.

You need to validate tram tickets. Just put the ticket in the hole seen in the center of the photo from this link:

…wikimedia.org/wiki/…29.JPG

Time, date and some additional info will be printed on the ticket automatically.

Boats to Westerplatte from the old town only.

Peak season is from 1st July to the end of August.

Boat trip to Westerplatte should be possible in September. (to Hel rather not)

I think both places can be visited the same day but much depends on the boat timetable and concert times.

Edited: 4:42 am, July 22, 2013
Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oliwa Cathedral and Westerplatte

HI,

Everything is possible during 1 day.

Recitals and organ presentations are not free.

The entrance fee for organ preesentation is PLN 4,50 (abt 1 Eur)

and despite of it collection for organ conservation is made.

The entrance fees for recitals are higher (abt PLN 20,-).

The organ Festival in Oliwa will last till the end of August.

Kind regards

Malgorzata

10. Re: Oliwa Cathedral and Westerplatte

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, July 24, 2014