We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay?

edinburgh east
Level Contributor
153 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Which area to stay?

We arrive in Gdansk airport early in the morning,is it quite straightforward to take the bus into the city.We are staying for 4 days and i cant decide whether to spend the 4 days in the city or spend 2 nights in Sopot as Villa Baltica are offering a very good deal or maybe stay in Sopot for 4 days.

We enjoy sightseeing and shopping,so maybe trying both places would be good? Could anyone advise which area is the best regarding returning to the airport in the morning.

Susan (Edinburgh).

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay?

Sopot is a seaside resort town - probably best in the warmer months. I visited on a September Saturday afternoon when it wasn't that warm but it was still pretty busy. Even so, it is small compared to Gdansk and touristy. I guess you might want to spend a couple of days there if you just want to relax, but there is little to see there. A couple of hours there was plenty for me; I would have been bored after that. There is much much more to see in Gdansk, so I would certainly stay there. Sopot is very easy to visit from Gdansk by SKM regional train if you want to spend an afternoon there.

Level Contributor
3,218 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay?

I would stay in the Gdansk old town area. There is much to see and do there, shops are close and main touristy sites also. As it was mentioned above, you can easily get to Sopot from Gdansk, just use a commuters train. Sopot is very small, it has lots of clubs and some shops but the only things worth seeing are the pier, the beach and the promenade - one day and one evening is always enough for me to spend in Sopot. Gdansk on the other hand has its unique atmosphere of the old town which I love since my childhood. Of course you may think differently and may want to spend nights in clubs - then Sopot is a right choice.

You can also visit the Gdynia harbour. The city itself is not really interesting but in the harbour you will find some old (and new) ships which are worth a visit and look nice in pictures :)

Edited: 1:43 pm, October 11, 2012
Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay?

You wrote that you have good offer from Villa Baltica.

You can stay either in Sopot or in Gdansk.

The local train connections between Sopot and Gdansk

are very good (almost 20 min. during a day).

I think it is more comfortable to stay in one place 4 days.

If you find the better deal in Gdansk stay in Gdansk, if not stay in Sopot.

Kind regards

4. Re: Which area to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, December 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Gdansk
Recent Conversations
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor