We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels

London, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
hotels
Save

Am taking my mother to Gdansk for a few days and looking for an interesting and comfortable hotel-at the moment deciding between

The Goldwasser and Podowilsand wondered if anyone had any advice.

Oslo
Level Contributor
455 posts
113 reviews
96 helpful votes
1. Re: hotels
Save

Goldwasser has a good location, and good restaurant. The other one seems to be written wrong, cannot google it...

dallas tx.
Level Contributor
5,172 posts
32 reviews
32 helpful votes
2. Re: hotels
Save

the goldwasser is right on the canal...so the location is perfect...charming restaurant and cafe in front...i like staying there but there are some things you should know...no elevator.... if your mother is a bit aged and has to deal with alot of stairs.....breakfast doesnt start till 8am and is basic...juice,roll and coffee....not so good for a hotel in poland or if you need to get an early start.....i've never stayed at the podwils hotel....but its on the other side of the canal which means a bit of a walk every time you want to go to the old town .....there are quite a bit of nice new hotels in gdansk now....i'm surprised you narrowed it down to just those two

London, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
3. Re: hotels
Save

Thanks -I was looking for a reasonably central hotel in an interesting building and hoping to get a room with a view. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Stairs arn't are problem.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
817 posts
32 reviews
13 helpful votes
4. Re: hotels
Save

Podwils is very charming hotel. But like Casey said - it's a bit of a walk to get over to the other side of the canal.

If you're considering rooms in the price range of hotel, then have a look at Hilton or Radisson - both are new and very central.

London, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
5. Re: hotels
Save

Thanks -somewhere cheaper would be even better but I couldn't really find enough information. Any recommendations would be very welcome. I need to decide soon as we're going this month.

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
23 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: hotels
Save

Hi,

check Qubus Hotel, Novotel, Hevelius.

Kind regards

Malgorzata

dallas tx.
Level Contributor
5,172 posts
32 reviews
32 helpful votes
7. Re: hotels
Save

last 2 times i was there i stayed at the quebus....because it has the reputation of having the best breakfast in town no matter what city....this one does not dissapoint.....and in addition it has that wonderful coffee machine that gives out fantastic coffee....good coffee in poland in a hotel is hard to come by though getting much better than it used to be....its 2 or 3 years old the hotel in a restored old warehouse building right on the canal....and the front desk people are great.....a negative or the hotel is that its at the very end of the canal.....so its a bit of a walk...5 minutes to the main street.....but to get to and from the hotel you must use a pedestrian tunnel under a busy road....at night that might be a problem for 2 ladies.......did you peruse the list of hotels on this site under the tab "gdansk hotels"?.....the are all ranked by uality and it gives you a good idea of each...btw....i just love gdansk and the whole area.....its difficult for me to go to poland and not visit it!

London, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
8. Re: hotels
Save

Thanks- my mother was lived there until she was 13 and has never been back so is really looking forward to the trip, that's really why I want to try and find the right hotel..

dallas tx.
Level Contributor
5,172 posts
32 reviews
32 helpful votes
9. Re: hotels
Save

there are many right hotels to stay in the old town area....you should have no problem....i would love to be there with you when she first steps into town...i bet she will be overwhelmned....but outsid the old town area alot of gdansk was totally wiped out

Oslo
Level Contributor
455 posts
113 reviews
96 helpful votes
10. Re: hotels
Save

The best location I can think of - right on the main square - has the Holand house. We didn't stay at that one, so it's just the location I can reccomend. The other one on the square is Radisson, 5 star and very resonably priced as far as Radisson hotels are concerned (but breakfast is extra, and expensive, so don't bother - 3 minutes walk from the hotel you have a bakery with all you wish for breakfast for one fifth of the priCE). We stayed at Radisson and liked it very much.

Get answers to your questions about Gdansk