We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gdansk Help

MAnchester
Level Contributor
272 posts
33 reviews
37 helpful votes
Gdansk Help
Save

Hello,

I am looking at visitng Gdansk in the end of May or early June. I have visited Wroclaw and Krakow but was wondering if Gdansk is roughly the same prices for food and drink?

We also would like to know where the best area to stay would be if we wanted to be near the restraunts and main nightlife?

your help would be much appreciated.

Gdansk looks beautiful

dallas tx.
Level Contributor
5,172 posts
32 reviews
32 helpful votes
1. Re: Gdansk Help
Save

stay within a certain radius of dluga street....most of the hotels are clustered around there...the food and drink is about the same price....excellent choice for that time of the year...gdansk will blow you away...but the best nightlife is in the nearby seaside resort of sopot...a very charming town..ask at your hotel how to get there....lots of side trips and side boat trips from gdansk....no doubt maggie (marlgorzata) the local expert will weigh in on this soon!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
7 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Gdansk Help
Save

Hi PhilBWFC.

Good choice. Gdansk is a beautiful city. May and June are not crowded yet.

Casey128 is right. Sopot has got more to offer if it comes to a nightlife. Gdansk's nightlife is rather quiet as everybody prefers to party in neighbouring Sopot. The SKM is very cheap and frequent service. It links Gdansk, Sopot and Gdynia very often called Tricity (three cities)

I think Gdansk isn't more expensive then Krakow and Wroclaw. There are lots of restaurantson on Dlugi Targ and Dlugie Pobrzeze.

Regards

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
817 posts
32 reviews
13 helpful votes
3. Re: Gdansk Help
Save

It's a timely visit to Gdansk. The city is bidding to be the European Cultural City 2016 - the results will be announced in mid June or July. My guess is there will be plenty of additional cultural programs in the final weeks of the bidding.

MAnchester
Level Contributor
272 posts
33 reviews
37 helpful votes
4. Re: Gdansk Help
Save

Thanks for the replies.

We are going on May 11th. Is this a busy period?? We are mainly going for sightseeing and nightlife.

Thanks

dallas tx.
Level Contributor
5,172 posts
32 reviews
32 helpful votes
5. Re: Gdansk Help
Save

if the weather is nice it will be packed....as you are on the baltyk, and it is may, the ocean effect might just influence the weather in a negative way

Gdansk, Poland
4 posts
6. Re: Gdansk Help
Save

Hi

As you are interested in both sightseeing and night life, I recomend to stay in one of Sopot hotels. Sopot is situated between Gdansk and Gdynia and it is a good place to start sightseeing tour. Gdansk is a beautiful city, but much calmer than Sopot, if we are talking about night life. Isn't it more comfortable to stay near the partying place?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
817 posts
32 reviews
13 helpful votes
7. Re: Gdansk Help
Save

Post no6 has a good point there. Sopot is the party hub of the Tri-City - more nightlife options there.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
338 posts
71 reviews
68 helpful votes
8. Re: Gdansk Help
Save

I am here now and although I am not partying, I would stay in Gdansk, there's plenty to do here and easy to nip back to your hotel or wherever during the day. nothing against Sopot, but Gdansk is more beautiful and lovely to wander around in the evening (lots of pubs and kerb-side drinking at tables).

I have eaten out 3 times so far and a meal is about £7 including a beer (main only) far cheaper than UK. A cake is 50p as is a basic ice cream and that's in a tourist area!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
338 posts
71 reviews
68 helpful votes
9. Re: Gdansk Help
Save

I am here now and although I am not partying, I would stay in Gdansk, there's plenty to do here and easy to nip back to your hotel or wherever during the day. nothing against Sopot, but Gdansk is more beautiful and lovely to wander around in the evening (lots of pubs and kerb-side drinking at tables).

I have eaten out 3 times so far and a meal is about £7 including a beer (main only) far cheaper than UK. A cake is 50p as is a basic ice cream and that's in a tourist area!

MAnchester
Level Contributor
272 posts
33 reviews
37 helpful votes
10. Re: Gdansk Help
Save

Would you recommend a location of Gdansk to stay in?

Thanks for your replies.

Get answers to your questions about Gdansk