We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus and tram tickets and validation

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Bus and tram tickets and validation

Travelling on the trams and buses without a validated ticket is a crime, You will be treated as a criminal of you fail to comply - everyone gets the same treatment ... you;re not being "picked on" or "singled out" because you're a visitor, nor should you expect to be let off because you're a visitor ... ignorance of gthe rules is no excuse.

Because so many people seem to be incapable of doing the sensible thing and checking the rules before they come here, I'm making this post - I hope someone will help me get it pinned. It's general information, but the principles hold good in most Polish cities, so ...

Most tickets are sold in shops and kiosks as well as at ticket machines and occasionally on board. Use the shops and kiosks to buy yours, adn machines may be broken and that will NOT be acceted as an excuse..

Tickets are more often than not for a duration - ie you buy a ticket which is valid for 20 mins, 30 mins, 45 mins, etc, depending on how long your journey will take. The clo0ck starts running when you validate the ticket - you have x minutes to complete your journey. If your time runs out you need to validate another ticket or get off.

You need to validate the ticket as soon as you board the bus or tram. Do not dither - have your ticket ready and spot the machine when you board. Inspectors are watching, and they're paid to catch you, not explain or give you a second chance.

You can avoid most of this by buying a ticket valid for 24, 48 or more hours from validation. You then only validate the first time you use the ticket and then just keep it handy for when the Inspectors ask to see it.

Some cities have two or more fare zones - typically, zones 1 and 2 are equivalent to inner and outer city. In Krakow, for example, all the tram lines are within zone 1, but you need an agglomeration ticket (two-zone) if you go further out.

So - buy ticket - board bus or tram - validate. 3 steps, simple.

71 replies to this topic
Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus and tram tickets and validation

Thanks, John. If only people would read this and learn this before their travel and not after :>

"Use the shops and kiosks to buy yours, adn machines may be broken and that will NOT be acceted as an excuse.."

In Wroclaw, when a ticket machine on board is broken then you are excused and can go for free. EVERY bus and tram in Wroclaw has a ticket machine inside so you don't have to look for a kiosk to buy tickets. Those machines DO NOT accept cash, only credit/debit cards like VISA, VISA Electron, Mastercard and Maestro (and NOT American Express).

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus and tram tickets and validation

It's a very good initiative although I must say I'll will be a bit disappointed when these hair-raising blood-boiling ticket inspector horror stories stop coming. Poland forum won't be the same without them, lol

To make it into a 'sticky' at the top of the forum, you need to write to the moderators. I have no idea who is taking care of the forums now so perhaps this link may work?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus and tram tickets and validation

I'll give that a try. Thanks Ozzlem

4. Re: Bus and tram tickets and validation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, October 03, 2013

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,258 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus and tram tickets and validation

I think any DE can put this under the top questions - try it. I have done it on other forums.

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,171 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus and tram tickets and validation

good idea to keep this right on top!

7. Re: Bus and tram tickets and validation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, October 11, 2013

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus and tram tickets and validation

@diane d

If you are seriously interested in visiting Poland and learning the language, please remove your post from here (Report inappropriate content->remove my post) as it has nothing to do with bus ticket validation and start a new thread. Please leave out non travel related links - advertising on TA forums is not allowed.

Haigh, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus and tram tickets and validation

I'm assuming there will be kiosks arround the bus station at the train station?

I'm looking at catching the bus to Auschwitz from Krakow and spending the day there and catching the bus back, what sort of ticket (and price) am I looking at?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
811 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus and tram tickets and validation

Yes there will be. Your find little shops everywhere that will sell these tickets

Reply to: Bus and tram tickets and validation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted