We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Poland with travel to Ukraine

Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in Poland with travel to Ukraine

I am planning a trip to Poland and Ukraine. Would like to rent a car in Poland and travel to Ukraine but most major rental companies do not allow that. Any suggestions for a company that will allow it or for extra insurance that can be purchased from a major company that will allow of it? I would anticipate flying into Warsaw and renting there.

Thank you.

dallas tx.
Level Contributor
4,704 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Poland with travel to Ukraine

have you done any research about driving in the ukraine?...about driving a car with polish or western license plates in the ukraine?....if you had you might just reconsider this idea....best to either fly there or hire a driver from the bordertowns that knows the lay of the land or even to take a train...the best i;ve seen is to head for przemysl....take a cab to the nearby border....walk accross...then take a maruschka on to where you are going....hire a driver there for side trips

Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Poland with travel to Ukraine

Thanks for the prompt response, Casey. I actually have a friend who borrowed a car in Germany from a friend and made the trip into Ukraine. He suggests that there would be no problem as long as you use a low end make of car and park in a secure hotel parking lot. My trip is more related to ancestral homelands than tourism and I would only be in Ukraine for 4 days including travel time in and out. Train might be the way to go but I thought I would investigate car travel as my first option. Won't be going until next spring. Car would be handier for a side trip into the Carpathians but again not essential.

dallas tx.
Level Contributor
4,704 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Poland with travel to Ukraine

i still think you should get to lviv....use it as a base and hire someone to drive you to where you would like to go....them traffic cops there are some tough hombres and cant be bought off so easily or cheaply....i just finnisheed reading an article by someone who does alot of cross border trading....even the buying of gas for your car can be a daunting event

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Poland with travel to Ukraine

I have several sets of friends who go regularly on holiday to Ukraine with their Polish-registered car and seem to have no problems - either with safety or with buying fuel. I think your biggest problem is going to be finding a hire company that lets you take a car outside the EU.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Poland with travel to Ukraine

i wouldnt do that driving. Take the train. Its not easy to drive on Polish highways, just imagine Ukraine's....

Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Poland with travel to Ukraine

Thanks to all for the additional comments. I enjoy adventure and have time so I would be willing to drive in Ukraine. I know of several people who have done so in Ukraine and many more who have traveled by car in Poland, all without problems. I would only be traveling as far as Rivne so have no need to be in major cities like Kiev or Lviv. Practical considerations may force me to use train or bus but I wanted to explore the car option first.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Kharkiv, Donetsk, Ukraine, Lutsk, Chernivtsi
Level Contributor
22,476 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental in Poland with travel to Ukraine

Hi PoPTraveller,

In this case your best bet is, indeed, reach Ukraine by either train or air and rent a car here. We often read in Ukraine forum about rental companies' hesitance to allow cars outside the EU, even if a driver brings it back.

I will not comment on the largely exaggerated fears raised above, but do invite you to post in Ukraine forum so that we could share with you some challenges to be ready for while driving in Ukraine. Forewarned, forearmed :)

Look forward to welcoming you in Ukraine forum tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294473-i3662-Ukra…

Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental in Poland with travel to Ukraine

Thank you for the encouragement, Cora_v. I might just do as you suggest - fly into Kiev, visit Rivne by car and then take the train to Warsaw, visit my places in Poland, and then return home from Warsaw. Lots of options to consider. I will come to the Ukraine forum after I make more decisions about where I will be.

Kongsvinger, Norway
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental in Poland with travel to Ukraine

I have driven my own car to Ukraine at least 8 times and my motorcycle, 1 time, and NEVER, had any problems. The language can be a barrier, but that is about it. The roads are in generally very poor. I would recommend that you drive only in daylight, if is rainy weather, as you simply cannot see the potholes at night, as they are filled with water. The Carpathians are really pretty, and I have driven so far south as the Black Sea, so driving no problem. As I have driven from Norway, it is quite a trip. The people are great, the prices low, compared to the rest of europe and petrol (gasoline) about 1/2 the price. The border crossings can take hours. It is usually Poland which takes a lot the most time, when returning. Due to the high cost of driving from Norway, ferries, fuel, eating, and hotels, I would like to fly to poland, and rent a car there, and drive the rest of the way via Slovakia. Have you found any polish car companies which accept cross border transits with a polish rental car??? I would very much appreciate the name or internet address to this company. Oh, someone wrote that the Polish Roads were a problem. They have better motorways than Germany, as they were all recently built. The secondary roads are generally very good as well, but when you get closer to Ukraine, the roads also get wore. Thanks Paul Chaffin

Kongsvinger, Norway
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental in Poland with travel to Ukraine

Has anyone found a Rental Agency which will allow you to drive a car rented in Poland, to travel in Ukraine!! Important, as I would like to go there with my family, right after Christmas!