We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location of Ryszard Siwiec's grave

Hradec Kralove, CZ
Level Contributor
494 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Location of Ryszard Siwiec's grave

Can anyone please help me with finding info about the location of the grave of Mr. Ryszard Siwiec, a Polish hero who self-immolated himself at the Dziesięciolecia stadium in Warsaw in September 1968 in protests against the WarPac invasion of Czechoslovakia.

I know there is a plaque at the stadium commemorating the event

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…RyszardSiwiecPlaque.jpg

but I'm trying to locate his actual grave.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Location of Ryszard Siwiec's grave

According to this info:

www.przemysl24.pl/ludzie/ryszard-siwiec.html

"Zmarł 12 września w warszawskim szpitalu, a w kilka dni później został pochowany w Przemyślu na zasańskim cmentarzu."

"Died on 12 Sept in a Warsaw hospital and a few days later was buried in Przemysl in Zasanie Cemetery"

Address of the Zasanie Cemetery:

Przemyśl (SE Poland), ul. Bolesława Śmiałego

Tel.: (016) 670 72 75

…naszemiasto.pl/kontakty_adresy/37509_141.ht…

By the way Przemysl is very interesting and has a lot of historical places to visit.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Location of Ryszard Siwiec's grave

Additional information on Ryszard Siwiec:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryszard_Siwiec

He deserves special attention in the Czech Republic and in Slovakia as we have just celebrated the 40th anniversary of the invasion - a lot to think when almost at the same time 40 years later we witnessed Russian aggression in Georgia.

Hradec Kralove, CZ
Level Contributor
494 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location of Ryszard Siwiec's grave

Thanks for your help Krakowianka. Siwiec is indeed a true hero and I agree with you on the similarities between August 1968 in Czechoslovakia and current Russian invasion and occupation of Georgia. Unfortunately a lot of countries in Europe are not willing to see what a threat to its neighbors neostalinist Russia is becoming (just as they were blind in 1938).

We plan a weekend trip with my friends to pay a tribute to him, although not sure if we make all the way to Przemysl or will go just go visit his plaque in Warsaw.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Location of Ryszard Siwiec's grave

To complete the information I read in today's newspaper that on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of his death a plaque will be inaugurated today on the house in which Ryszard Siwiec lived in Przemysl - ul. Okrzei 2. One of the bridges over the San river in Przemysl bears his name as well.

5. Re: Location of Ryszard Siwiec's grave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 pm, October 08, 2009