We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Brno by myself and scenic drive to Cesky Krumlov

Hunter Valley NSW...
Level Contributor
153 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Brno by myself and scenic drive to Cesky Krumlov

Hi,

My husband is attending the bike race for 3 days in late August so I am researching what I can do by myself for those days. would really like to try and find a tour/guide that would take me out to the caves for the day but so far not had a reply from the one firm i have been contacting, still trying though!. With some further research I can see a full day wandering town is required and then am thinking maybe a tour or maybe a Segway tour? of the city. Have found a Segway company but not a walking tour anywhere as yet..The days I will be there are Friday, Sat, Sunday. Would one the days be ''better'' to save to explore the city over any of the others?

We are staying at B & B Klafe which is 4 tram stops from central square. I have spent the last couple of years wandering around various places by myself with no drama whilst hubby is at the bikes - last year was the Le Mans region. I had managed to learn a bit of French to help me get by but am really struggling with the Czech. Will I get by okay without knowing much Czech? And safety wise - is there anything I should avoid? I intend to be home by the late afternoon each day. I have not read of any concerns anywhere but info isn't quite as readily available as some of my previous places I have wandered alone about.

Last question. When we depart, we will be driving to Cesky Krumlov. We have the entire day to enjoy the drive so was hoping for a suggestion of which route to follow. I have a couple of guide books i am reading but trying to pick the best option is tricky - am overwhelmed by choice.

Appreciate any advice.

regards

Suz

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Brno by myself and scenic drive to Cesky Krumlov

I don't know much about Brno, but I'm sure our resident expert, GCEK, will chime in very soon.

Regarding the drive, the quickest route is to take the D1 up to Humpolec and then route 34 south through Pelhrimov and Jindrichuv Hradec to Cesky Krumlov. According to Google maps this is 237 km and a little under 3 hours. However, you will probably hit traffic on the D1 which will slow you down.

Personally, I would take the D1 to Velke Mezirici and then head to Jindrichuv Hradec through Trebic and Telc. All three towns (Trebic, Telc and JH) are very beautiful and worth a stop. This route should be around 3 1/2 hours if you don't stop. If there is any chance to do the trip in two days, I would recommend stopping in Telc for the night (with a stop in Trebic for lunch on the first day). The second day I would stop in JH and Trebon (another very nice town) during the day, arriving in Cesky Krumlov in the evening. You will see some amazing places along the way.

Edited: 8:12 am, June 16, 2013
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,276 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Brno by myself and scenic drive to Cesky Krumlov

route for the day...check it on google maps

Brno to Rosice, Namest, Trebic, Telc (stop for lunch) continue via Jindrichuv Hradec, Trebon, Ceske Budejovice to Cesky Krumlov....I took this route a couple of years ago, although in the reverse order.,

We stopped in Jindrichuv Hradec for a drink, then stopped both in Telc and Trebic (the Jewish quarter)

Hunter Valley NSW...
Level Contributor
153 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Brno by myself and scenic drive to Cesky Krumlov

Thank you for the suggestions. Am reading up on those towns and looking at the route on my map.

I have put the entire day aside to travel from Brno to Cesky Krumlov, but we do need to be there by very late afternoon as I have already booked a B & B. I had checked the direct route was about 3hours so was interested in several stops and diversions to make a full day of it. Was just overwhelmed with possible options.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,189 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Brno by myself and scenic drive to Cesky Krumlov

There is a segway company, but I don't think anybody uses it for tourism purposes. The only people who use them as far as I have seen are the security guards at the Olympia shopping centre. I'd ditch that idea as it is easy to walk around. You could ask about walking tours at the tourist office on Radnická in the old town hall (stará radnice) http://www.ticbrno.cz/en/uvod and/or invest in this guide http://brnonow.com/ - it is really very good and you can just download it.

The city is very safe indeed - even the areas that locals might warn you against are safe, so don't worry about that unduly, and you almost certainly wouldn't go there anyway (although there are a couple of very good alternative pubs in that area!).

There are a few ideas in here, you have probably seen it already tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274714-i1153-k6… - the weekends are quiet, mostly because people tend to go out the countryside or the lake on bike rides or just to chill out (it's a very chilled-out city)

Your hotel is in one of the nicest parts of town and is close to the planetarium and the Kraví hora park and swimming area which has beautiful views over the city, There is an excellent restaurant there called Monte Bu - I mentioned it in the aforementioned link - and a walk down the hill (or a couple of stops on tram no. 4) will take you to the country's no. 1 pub tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g274714-…

For the caves there are very regular trains to Blansko and then a walk of a couple of kms through the valley, or there are a couple of buses that connect to one of the early trains and bring you back in the afternoon - the vast majority of people either drive or go by bike so I am not sure, but you could ask them directly www.moravskykras.net/en/information.html - if you want to go on the underground river tour you should book well in advance as it is very popular, and bring a warm layer (even if it is +30 outside), as it is +7 all year round inside.

Similarly, if you want a tour of the reconstructed Tugendhat villa UNESCO world heritage site you should think about booking now for August as tickets for tours are sold out months in advance. It is magnificent and well worth it. http://www.tugendhat.eu/en/

If you need to know anything more specific, drop me a line

Edited: 8:46 am, June 17, 2013
5. Re: 3 days in Brno by myself and scenic drive to Cesky Krumlov

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 19, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Brno
Recent Conversations