We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport tickets in Brno

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,081 posts
Save Topic
Transport tickets in Brno

going to be in the city for a couple of days late may.My hotel is walkable from the train station (650meters Google map) but I will probably use the trams a buses a little bit, I was thinking about a day ticket, might not get full value for it but worth it for the convienience factor.Are they easy enough to get at the main train station and how much do the cost.

I did see some info online but seems a bit confusing as it was mentioning zones etc.

so whats the best ticket for me ,how much is it and where can i buy it..

I will make sure i have plenty of coins if i need to use a vending machine to obtain them.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,189 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Transport tickets in Brno

Sorry - my mistake - the price of the tickets you need is 20 crowns - they recently changed the prices. I'm sure it was 10 crowns one upon a time ...

If you want to check out the brewery I recommend that you get the tram to Mendlovo náměstí as it is quite a walk, but I am lazy - all trams go there from Šilingrovo náměstí down the hill, or number 1 from the station. Of course you don't need to be reminded to validate the ticket - Mendlovo náměstí is the inspector's favourite stamping ground.

If you fancy going on to Blahovka from there then you will need to get trolleybus no. 26 direction Novolíšeňská one stop to Úvoz - cross the road, walk back on yourself a few yards and turn right down Gorkého - you will recognise Blahovka as there is usually a crowd of people outside drinking. The Whiskey Bar is a few steps further if you feel like a wee dram afterwards.

There is another Plzeň 'tanková' pub within walking distance from there - walk down Gorkého the way you came, cross over, and keep going until you hit a park on the right (Obilní trh) - you will see a pub called 'U čápa' {The Stork - so-called because of the maternity hospital across the park, so it is where expectant fathers can go and drown their sorrows/celebrate) which until relatively recently was a totally unreconstructed 'pajzl' but it has unfortunately been glitzed up. However apparently it is not bad - I just can't bring myself to go in there any more as I miss the chipped glasses, formica tables, black and white Tesla TV in the corner, surly service and menus typed with carbon paper, also the colourful clientele which used to consist of various artists and semi/totally sozzled lecturers and professors from the university which is next door. Maybe they still go there ...

Edited: 8:50 am, February 07, 2012
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,081 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Transport tickets in Brno

thanks for that very colourful series of instuctions/comments. I might head out there ltse afternoon on the tuesday, just see how things go.

Edited: 9:17 am, February 07, 2012
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,189 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Transport tickets in Brno

'all trams go there from Šilingrovo náměstí down the hill' - I should say the hill going down Pekářská, not the hill down towards the station. Oh and of course don't ask for anything other than beer (or maybe slivovice as a chaser) in Blahovka, or you will be told to go forth and multiply in no uncertain terms :)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,081 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Transport tickets in Brno

I see Richarda now have a place in the city center, that will save me having to head out there

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,081 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Transport tickets in Brno

we use to have a pub in Edinburgh like that, you got beer,no lager,you got whisky and maybe vodka and that was it ,women were banned until the 80's,place was always mobbed.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,189 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Transport tickets in Brno

Yes - it has been there for a couple of years so you don't need to trek out into the countryside. If you feel like some sushi before or after pop into Koishi next door http://www.koishi.cz/en/ - they have a real Japanese sushi master and it is excellent but pricey. However I somehow don't think it will be up your street ...

That whole area is being very slowly transformed into a sort of restaurant and entertainment district, but still has a long way to go before it can rival Ostrava's Stodolní.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,081 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Transport tickets in Brno

Sushi is not one of the reasons i travel tio the czech republic,much rather have smoked ham,dumplings/ pancakes and red cabbage washed down with whatever beer is available.

still i am looking forward to my short visit there.

18. Re: Transport tickets in Brno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, May 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Brno
Recent Conversations