We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurace Zpalicek na náměstí Zelný trh?

Which Brno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurace Zpalicek na náměstí Zelný trh?

Is the restaurant still there. Search on Tripadvisor and returned nothing...

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,839 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurace Zpalicek na náměstí Zelný trh?

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g274714-…

'cos it is Spalicek !

Edited: 10:03 am, December 07, 2010
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,839 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurace Zpalicek na náměstí Zelný trh?

or to be precise 'špalíček' (can't do caps)

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurace Zpalicek na náměstí Zelný trh?

Thanks.

Hard to see the Š wasn't a Ž in the picture I took in 2004.

http://flic.kr/p/5KXUkK

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurace Zpalicek na náměstí Zelný trh?

Shame the two reviews are opposite to my last experience, but that was in 2004!!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,232 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurace Zpalicek na náměstí Zelný trh?

It is still there - nothing special to be honest, and you will smell of smoke and greasy cooking for a long time afterwards. Beer is on the expensive side as well. Good position, though.

I just looked at those reviews - sums it up nicely. There is much better than this.

Edited: 11:32 am, December 07, 2010
Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurace Zpalicek na náměstí Zelný trh?

Nothing can replace Sputnik.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,232 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurace Zpalicek na náměstí Zelný trh?

Now you're talking - I used to go there every day. I think I even cried when it closed ... :) It was the only place where you could get Budvar on tap, and you would always get hassled for your left over chicken bones ('for my dog') by toothless tramps in the chicken grill downstairs. And the luminous pink milkshake ... getting all nostalgic now ...

The only thing left from that era that hasn't changed much is the cake shop on Minoritská .. .they've even turned the Černohorská pivnice into a McD's ...

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurace Zpalicek na náměstí Zelný trh?

Being middle class I used to go upstairs at Sputnik. Downstairs was full of too many workmen and tramps for me... :)

One of my friends was a Skoda owner in UK and when he came to visit he brought a huge trailer and bought Skoda parts from the car parts shop in Svobody Namesti. They were so cheap in Brno and about 10x the price in UK.

I always introduced people to the outdoor grill at the end of the square near Sputnik, smazeny syr..... Then McD opened on the other corner. I think that was 1993 and there were queues all down the street. A Big Mac was very expensive for locals and those of us on Czech wages.

In the days before digitaI took a few...

members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1eed67/

members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/165d4f/

Memories eh?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,232 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurace Zpalicek na náměstí Zelný trh?

I see you had the same experiences as I did! - Metallica (climbed over the fence with about 40 minutes to go, along with about 10 thousand others ... ) Boby Brno ... I had forgotten about that PKO sign on the top of the building on the corner of Česká - certainly brings back the memories ...

Yes - upstairs in Sputnik was where they had the Budvar on tap and was definitely a bit more 'up-market', but Czech friends would still gasp when I told them that it was my favourite place to go. Before McD's invaded the space mext to Mototechna it was a 'Mléčný bar' which was infinitely cheaper and better quality ... I think the longest queues there now are those for the toilet with people popping in for a McP.

I should correct you about the 'Jednota' building though - I think that was next door - this is the Dům pánů z Lípé, since turned into a luxury shopping/coffee supping emporium. But I might be wrong - all I remember is that they kept threatening to demolish it, but I'm glad they didn't as it has scrubbed up quite nicely...

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurace Zpalicek na náměstí Zelný trh?

I think you may be right about Jednota. The building was obviously old and pock marked with bullet holes that were reputedly from 1968 rather than 1945.

My first visit to Brno was in 1986. We entered through Mikulov and after a very long wait we eventually got in. The tank traps, dogs, fences and ditches hardly welcoming, plus the compulsory exchange of western cash in amounts that were impossible to spend in a month let alone a week.

We stayed at U Nedbalku in Ostrovacice. My (at the time) pen pal Ivan sorted that out. We saw the sights in Brno with him plus the wonders of the Tuzex shop. I still have a 1/2 Tuzex note somewhere.

Yes, Boby Brno. I went to many matches at home and away to Olomouc, Ostrava and even to Bratislava before the CR and SR split. Plus the Cup Final in Prague against Sparta. How I hate them! Not much fun driving back to Brno in a coach with no windows, then walking from the Ostrovacice junction to Zastavka late at night.