We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best route from Prague to Vienna by car

Which Breclav hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lima
2 posts
Save Topic
best route from Prague to Vienna by car

Hi! I´m going to travel with 2 more friends to Prague on January 2009 and staying there for 3 days, then we have to get to Vienna. I know we can take a bus or a train but we were wondering how complicated is to rent a car and drive stopping on the way. A friend told we can stop in Karljsatein Castle and the continue to Cesky Krumlov where we can have a quick lunch, walk around and then leave to Vienna. I think this route isn´t the direct route, so maybe is gonna be to much or to long, or just isn´t worth it. I was looking at the viamichelin maps for the direct route from Prague to Vienna but i don´t know if there is any nice place to stop and have lunch or some small town where we can have a walk.

Please help us!!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,196 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best route from Prague to Vienna by car

The fastest way would be on the motorway via Brno and Drasenhofen. From Drasenhofen you only have a major road instead of a motorway as the Austrian Ministry for Transportation and Infrastructure has overslept the developement of our neighboring countries. In 2011 there will be a motorway from Brno via Drasenhofen to Vienna.

But your intention to drive via Cesky Krumlov is not that bad as motorways are mostly boring. Logically it takes longer, but you could visit interesting places. You could also stop in Brno, what would fit into the route description mentioned above.

Lima
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best route from Prague to Vienna by car

thanx for the quick response!

my only concern is how complicated is to drive there since all the sings aren´t in english, but I suppose if we follow the instructions correctly we wont get lost right?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,258 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best route from Prague to Vienna by car

Another way, which is slightly shorter, is if you branch off the D1 at Jihlava and go through Znojmo and on to Vienna from there. It is possibly more scenic and you pass by Telč darkcharons.cz/galerie/…2004.jpg on the way which is well worth a small detour for lunch as it is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site, but is largely ignored by visitors which means that it is still largely unspoiled. This way does go through the countryside and is not motorway. Znojmo is also a very pleasant little town. Don't worry about the roadsigns. As long as you stay on the same road from Jihlava you can't go wrong. It will take you about 4.5 hours, more if you stop. If you go through Cesky Krumlov it will take you about 8 hours, and a lot more if you stop at Karlstejn as well.

Go to www.vimichelin.com and select the shortest route from Prague to Vienna it will show you the way.

If you go through Brno you might as well get the train.

Don't forget that if you hire a car you will have to bring it back to Prague afterwards otherwise you will be hit with crippling drop-off fees.

Have fun!

4. Re: best route from Prague to Vienna by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, October 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Breclav