We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lanžhot?

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
249 reviews
Save Topic
Lanžhot?

I went to a festival many years ago that I think may have been in late August or early September to Lanžhot.

The main part of the day was that the men raised a huge tree in the town square by muscle and scissor jacks made of branches and we drank copious amounts of what was translated as" bubbling wine", a wine in the first throes of fermentation.

I am looking to refresh my memory and maybe have another visit.

Can anyone local or a Moravian expert let me know if it still happens?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,407 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lanžhot?

the wine is called burčák - not my favourite.....whether the festival happens I have to leave to others to confirm, but my best quess is that it does!

vinobrani

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lanžhot?

Cheers Tilly. Glad you are here.... What do you know about Zastávka u Brna?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,407 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lanžhot?

Absolutely nothing, it has a train station....went through last summer when I was driving from Trebic to Boskovice - did not stop -

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lanžhot?

S23. Lovely road.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,407 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lanžhot?

Yep, then D1, and then that awful never finished section around Brno

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,404 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lanžhot?

If you go during the wine harvest season, all of the villages in the area ranging from Lanžhot and over to Mikulov and Znojmo up to just south of Brno have festivals such as you describe, and it is a great experience but otherwise there is nothing at all to see in Lanžhot. I believe the idea behind the raising of the tree is that a young man from the neighbouring village is supposed to come and climb up the tree and steal the grapes at the top or whatever is up there and then bring it back as a trophy - but I have never seen anybody do this ... in late summer you will see that all the villages have this tree with ribbons and the 'crown' still left on there.

Zastávka u Brna is just as it says on the tin 'A stop near Brno'. This is probably its major feature …wikipedia.org/wiki/…_Thermona.jpg it is probably too far north to be in the wine-growing area, but not far from there, in Rosice, there is great wild mushroom-hunting in the forest - we used to go with a friend's grandmother who had been going to the same spot for about 70 years and she would fill baskets, whilst I would only find a couple of sorry-looking specimens...

But don't let that put you off - some of the best experiences can be had in some of the more way-out places :)

Mentioned in this post
Mikulov
Mikulov
South Moravian Region, Czech Republic
Znojmo
Znojmo
Brno
Brno
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,404 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lanžhot?

... but according to your other post you used to live there, so you probably know all about that :)

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lanžhot?

GCEK. Thanks for the information about Lanžhot. Memory dims after many years. It would have been 1992! My friend Ivan (who is from Brno) and i caught the train to Břeclav and changed to another one. It seemed to take a long time.

I had no idea why we were raising that tree!

Mentioned in this post
Brno
Brno
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lanžhot?

Here are some websites. I don't think I have ever visited this part of Slovacko; (but I know Breclav quite well), but now, after reading the websites (most are in Cz, I am afraid), I might visit next year..

podluzi.cz/turistika/…lanzhot

expedice.rps.cz/lokality/4512-lanzhot-mesto.…

www.jizni-morava.cz/?tpl=24&typ=1&id=131

Apparently, there is a museum there (website?) that might have something about Dozinky, Wine Tasting/celebrations, & the Lanzhotske Hody....

I am including the religious & other celebrations - I do not think it is the same "Tree celebration" Hodonin.

www.podluzi.cz/turistika/en/touristic-guide

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lanžhot?

Thanks everyone. Sadly the festival I remembered is later in September than I had thought.

Working in he Education field September is no vacation territory.