We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's with the graffiti?

birmingham
1 post
Save Topic
What's with the graffiti?

Have just got back from Prague and thought it was great generally, but have you ever seen so much graffiti in one city. Walk out of the tourist hotspots and it's horrendous, despite the fact that the city is surprisingly litter free. What's with it? Something to do with the collapse of communism perhaps. The oppressed youth realising they were now free to do whatever they like and spraypaint their city as much as they liked? Also, I never thought it was possible for a city to have too many bars and restaurants, but that's really all there is in the whole of central Prague. Is there no other economy in the place? What do the locals do if they don't want to work in the tourist economy? Just wondering.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Prague
City Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Discover Prague Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Prague On Segway, on E-Scooter, on Quad
City Tours, Segway Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Next City Tours Prague
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's with the graffiti?

Prague is dirty and full of grafiti unfortunately. It is simply the lack of respect for public places and the fact that the locals don't have a Germanic tendency for neatness. Interestingly, although the place wasn't full of lights and was dowdy, under communist times there was hardly any grafiti around

If you go to any tourist city, you will find in the tourist part, tourist shops and bars. Tourism is a big part of the city's economy, but there is a huge other part as well. Just walk outside the old town and into the new town and you will find shops and offices just like any other city, and further afield in the city, factories producing all the goods that used to be produced in the UK, but now for 30% of the price

Remember also that Prague has 1.5 million people or so. Many of the bars and restaurants are set up for the locals, not just the tourist

Prague
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's with the graffiti?

I used to live around the Old Town Square from more than ten years and I fully understand your feelings - everything is set for tourists.

Now being in Vinohrady, I am happy with my local neighborhood, with the little shops, local/ international restaurants, bars, parks and still very close to the downtown. Unfortunately there is graffiti all over the place too.

Prague
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's with the graffiti?

The French city of Lyon has two companies which do "wall paintings", giant frescos etc which cover one whole side of 10-storey apartment blocks. You don't see any grafitti on these places. I'd like to see something like that in Prague one day.

Another economy other than tourism...not in Prague1 but as Martina says, tourism drops off pretty sharply in Prague's 2, 3 and 4 districts which are only a few minutes tram ride.

Jason

4. Re: What's with the graffiti?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, August 24, 2009