We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night train from Prague to Budapest

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Night train from Prague to Budapest

Hey everyone..

My wife and I are planning on taking a Euro night train (EN 477) from Prague to Budapest. We are reserving one of the two seater coaches. Before booking our tickets I would like to know if these are safe and if we should take any precautions?

Thank you guys in advance.

D

97 replies to this topic
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
16,083 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night train from Prague to Budapest

yes, you will be fine

maybe you heard some old urban legends

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night train from Prague to Budapest

The train has sleepers, couchettes and ordinary seats, which (to put it graphically) basically correspond to hotel, youth hostel, and sleeping in a shop doorway.

Only the most hard-up travellers slum it in the seats without paying the small amount extra for a flat bunk in a couchette or sleeper. There are no locks on seat compartment doors, you can't sleep properly, people may get on or off or wander past all night, you are exposed. Travelling in a seat is NOT recommended, any more than sleeping in a doorway when you get there.

Unless it is some sort of emergency, you should ALWAYS book a proper flat bunk in a safely-locked couchette or sleeper compartment with attendant on duty.

In a comfortable couchette or sleeper it's perfectly safe, comfortable, and a great way to travel. Bring a bottle of red for the evening, settle down into your berths, and have fun.

It's only an extra 10 euros or so for a couchette (basic flat bunk with rug and pillow, 6 or 4 bunks per compartment), indeed for an extra 28 euros or so you can have a proper bed in a 2-bed sleeper with washbasin.

Edited: 2:01 am, July 13, 2014
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,084 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night train from Prague to Budapest

Only use www.cd.cz/eshop for your ticket

Couchette from €39, sleeper from €49

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night train from Prague to Budapest

Guys,

Thank you so much for your messages. Wishing you all a great summer..

D

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night train from Prague to Budapest

Hello 61,

I want to buy a night train on Saturday August 11th from Prague to Budapest but it is sold out on e-shop. Can I buy it at the station instead and how much more would it cost?

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night train from Prague to Budapest

Sorry that's August 2nd

Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Night train from Prague to Budapest

I have tried to book an overnight train from Prague to Budapest on this site and it does not show these options online. I can find the overnight schedule but I cannot seem to book the time. It offers me times for the next day. Any reason why this would be the case?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,084 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Night train from Prague to Budapest

Which date?

Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Night train from Prague to Budapest

we want to travel the night of August 3 to arrive the morning of August 4. should we book at the station when we arrive in Prague or would the sleeper tickets be sold out? thank you for any assistance.

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Night train from Prague to Budapest

I was looking to purchase two tickets on the night train from PRA to BUD. I realize that tickets for September 28th are not yet available for a few days. I did some "testing" as if to purchase tickets on dates currently on sale, but when trying to purchase two tickets for a double sleeper , I get the error, "for the First Minute ticket offer, you must choose a 3-berth (T3) compartment." When I switch to a triple sleeper, I get the error, "Your request could not be granted. Train category and tariff details incompatible."

Suggestions on what I'm entering incorrectly?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to: Night train from Prague to Budapest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted