We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prague to plitvice by car??

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
prague to plitvice by car??

According to google maps this should take about 8 hours, going via Austria. Anybody has done this trip and can advice on pitfalls, best route to follow, specially if i would fancy a bit of scenery on the way? (ps, once i got my overall route sorted i will be back for some prague advice, i'm sure)

Planning "roundtrip" in june, with emphasis on Croatia; Arnhem (netherlands) to Prague (stay 3 nights). Prague to Plitvice (stay 2 nights), Plitvice to Rovinj. Rovinj back to Roterdam for ferry to UK. All in 2 weeks

thanks for kind advice

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: prague to plitvice by car??

I've driven from Prague to Slovenia several times. That is almost all of the way to Plitvice. The trip is fine - highway all the way except for a short stretch between Brno and Vienna. Make sure you go through Brno and not the more direct route to Vienna that passes through Znojmo. The way through Brno is longer by distance but much better because you are on a highway.

Be aware that you need highway stickers for the CR, Austria and Slovenia. The Slovenian one is quite expensive, as I recall.

uk
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prague to plitvice by car??

what are highway stickers and how would i get those??

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prague to plitvice by car??

Highway stickers (or vignettes) are basically tolls. Instead of stopping at toll booths, you buy a sticker at the border and stick it on the front window of your car. You can buy stickers only for 7- or 10-days. You can buy at gas stations that are near the border, or you can buy at special booths (they look like money exchange places) right at the border. You probably need to pay for them in cash, so make sure you have some euros with you.

Hungary doesn't have an actual sticker but you pay the amount at the border and they put your license plate number into a computer and the cops will know that you are OK.

These cover you for all toll charges in the CR, Slovakia and Hungary, and for most toll charges in Austria and Slovenia - in the latter two countries you need to pay extra for special tunnels through the mountains.

You can read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignette_(road_tax)

uk
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: prague to plitvice by car??

thanks, the whole trip is taking shape, hotel in prague is booked as are our Kroatia hotels. Thanks for your route suggestion. Have you got any experience with the route through Linz (Weis> Graz)? It doesn't look much longer and seems to take me more through the Alps (?)

Main reason for the question is that I am hoping that during travel I can enjoy some nice scenery, and i love hills, mountains and forests... Or would i be ok on the journey you suggest via Brno

thanks for further advice

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: prague to plitvice by car??

I know part of the route through Linz. I usually drive down the Czech route 4 to Ceske Budejovice because it is faster from my home. Route 3, which is faster from the center of Prague, tends to have more traffic, and it is only a divided highway for part of the way. The route from Ceske Budejovice to Linz is a windy road that has a lot of accidents. It is scenic, but drive carefully. From Linz to Graz is on the highway and very scenic, but as soon as you go through the mountains expect there to be tunnels which a) tend to get backed up and b) have special tolls that add to your costs (these aren't covered by your vignette).

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: prague to plitvice by car??

In my opinion the best route is the Prague, Jihlava, Znojmo (I do not agree travel via Brno is more comfortable due to the D1 being pain in **s), Vienna, Graz. It is according to my opinion and opinion of my colleagues the most convenient. There are a few extras to pay, but considering the cost of diesel, it does not cost much (toll in tunnels).

Edited: 2:54 pm, January 22, 2014
7. Re: prague to plitvice by car??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:41 am, January 24, 2015