We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel similar to Hotel Praha (but still open???)

London, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel similar to Hotel Praha (but still open???)

Hi all

I am due to visit Prague in November, and as a fan of a certain type of architecture, I really wanted to stay in the Hotel Praha - but it is now closed, unfortunately.

So I wonder if anyone could recommend a hotel similar in style to the Hotel Praha - I know there is maybe nothing exactly like it, but something with a 70's or 80's feel/style would be great.

The tow I have noticed so far were - Hotel Krystal, and Hotel Orea Pyramida - what I am looking for is original design, inside and out, if possible. The North side of Prague is better, as I am planning to visit Most and Usti nad Labem during my stay.

Many thanks in advance

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Prague
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotel similar to Hotel Praha (but still open???)

Tilly you are quite correct. When I first came here it still had the red star at the very very top, when the holiday inn bought it they kept the star but painted it green. It is the only hotel I know that has cameras in the smoke detectors and if you smoke in the room and the alarm gets a whiff it takes your picture which they show you upon check out and make you pay big money

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,277 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotel similar to Hotel Praha (but still open???)

wow, good job I don't smoke any more. Well, at least it maintains its totalitarian tradition.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotel similar to Hotel Praha (but still open???)

ROFL on the "tight buns and skowl" thing, I almost lost it!

Like he said

London, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hotel similar to Hotel Praha (but still open???)

Hi all

Just a brief note to say that the Parkhotel was really good - love the building, and the rooms etc are actually pretty acceptable. Had a great day in Most, just loved it there, but never had time in the end to take photos in Usti nad Labem as it got dark earlier than I expected.

Also tried to get some photos of the Hotel Praha, but it seems almost impossible to get a good picture of the front of the hotel (the curvy side I mean) from any street around it. If anyone knows of a good location to get decent photos of that place, please let me know.

Thank for all the help

Andy

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hotel similar to Hotel Praha (but still open???)

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I came across this time-lapse photo gallery of the demolition of the Hotel Praha and thought that Andrew and some others might be interested in it.

www.lidovky.cz/foto.aspx…

Very sad to see such a historic building torn down.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
17,112 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hotel similar to Hotel Praha (but still open???)

Thanks for that!

as a side note, Crown Plaza has been renamed to Hotel International (link above is still valid)

Edited: 2:34 am, October 25, 2014
Valkeakoski, Finland
Level Contributor
231 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Hotel similar to Hotel Praha (but still open???)

Very sad in deed.. Although ugly but with so remarkable history

18. Re: Hotel similar to Hotel Praha (but still open???)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 27, 2015