We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in November

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in November

Hi all,

I am coming to Prague for a course through my work and they have me staying in the Ibis Mala Strana Wed 6th and checking out Saturday 9th.

My husband is coming over on Friday 8th and the plan is to stay on until Monday 11th.

My question is where should we stay over the weekend so we can do some sightseeing and just generally enjoy the city.

His friend lives in prague and has recommended the Design Metropole but I looked at it and it looks a little bit basic and not particularly cosy.

I have just looked at the Old Town Hilton which looks really nice for the price (88GBP per night), it seems to be really near a metro station, although I'm not really sure if we will need to use public transport or if we will just be walking about the old town.

Should we just stay in the Ibis??

Where would you suggest that is in a good location for signtseeing and under 100GBP per night? I am prepared to go to approx 100 GBp but it would have to be really nice, I'm also prepared to go somewhere a bit more budget as well.

If possible I would love a pool (but definitly not a deal breaker if it doesnt) and free wifi.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in November

OK, Ive been searching and also like Intercontinental prague, Ventana, Kings court and Eurostars Thalia.

Ive also looked at Old Town Square Hotel which is a bit more than the budget I set so not sure if it would be worth paying extra or not.

Where would you suggest?

x

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
9,137 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in November

Hi Jenna, we've just got back from Prague and stayed at the Best Western Pav. It's about a 10 minute walk into the main areas and was fine for our three day stay. We booked it through Alpharooms.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,968 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in November

Intercontinental has a pool, but did not think it was that cheap.. Ventana is a good hotel..both central.

I stayed at both.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in November

Thanks HEVER, I'll keep the Pav in mind if we decide to go for a budget hotel.

I take it that the location of all of these hotels are all pretty central and there isnt too far in between them all. Its difficult to judge on a google map. I had thought that staying near the old square would probably be the more central location closer to most things but I take it this is not the case.

I think the Intercontinental was coming in at £101 and the Ventana was £94 per night.

It would be nice to have a pool but i'm not sure how much i would actually use it.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
435 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in November

Hi Jenna, I personally would highly recommend the Cloister Inn. I stayed there 4 nights in 2011 and will be going back for another 4 next summer.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g274707-d276529…

You can see my full review of this great hotel on the TA page above but I will give you some more flavor here too. The way I think of Prague is basically 3 main areas:

1) Old Town Square

2) Wenceslas Square

3) Castle/Charles Bridge

Ventana is very close to #1 but very far from #3. Intercontinental is further from #1 & #2. Cloister Inn not super close to #2 but it's about equidistant between #1 & #3, which is my mind, is the absolute perfect location. I was able to walk to the East end of the Charles Bridge in less than 5 minutes and to #1 in just over 5 minutes. In addition to the castle itself, there's a ton a great things to see on that side of the river, including an observing tower that gives you unparalleled 360 views of the entire Prague area. This is why I think staying close to the Charles Bridge is ideal... it gives you easy access to key places on both sides of the river.

I found the hotel itself to be excellent. It's not upper scale but not budget either (hence the 3.5 star rating) but it's actually very affordable considering what it offers and the great location. Rates run just over $100, so notably less then the rates you refer to above. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The other great thing is that it's on a very quiet side street so there was literally no noticeable noise in my room.

If you would like any further info about it, please let me know and I would be happy to provide. Hope you have a great time there!

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in November

Be forewarned that the Ibis Mala Strana is not located in Mala Strana. I can't understand how they can get away with calling it that. Mala Strana is the quaint district under the castle; this Ibis is located in the commercial part of Prague - Smichov called Andel with a shopping mall on one side and the central ring road on the other. It is on one of the busiest intersections in Prague (I know - I have to fight my way through it every day on the way to work).

So I would definitely suggest moving to another hotel, ideally one that is actually located in Mala Strana, in order to get a feel for historic Prague. Or if you can afford the Intercontinental, then definitely go for that. Right down the street from Old Town Square, right across the river from the castle, and right on the edge of the Jewish Quarter.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in November

Thanks for the info Jeff, I will definitely book another hotel for after my course has finished.

I think I have narrowed to to 2 hotels.

The Intercontinental and the Ventana.

Please help me choose, I'm stuck!!! Ventana seems to be in a slightly better location but intercontinental has a pool!!

Its a tough choice.

x

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,968 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in November

Do you smoke? Can you afford a suite.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in November

The location of the Intercontinental is pretty good as well, and the Zlata Praha restaurant on the top floor is amazing (I know the chef - he's one of Prague's best). I don't know anything about the other hotel, but Celetna is a very nice if extremely touristy street. A very tough call. Personally, I would go for something in Mala strana, like the Archibald. Have you checked the prices of that one? I know - the last thing you needed was another choice:-)

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,968 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in November

Ah, Archibald, another hotel I stayed at....it's less expensive, has a certain charm, good location, no lifts for 3 flights of stairs, small bathroom, I liked it, my husband would not go back.

Answer my question in post 8