We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Czech & Austria - Itinerary

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Czech & Austria - Itinerary

Hi,

We are planning a 20 days trip to Czech and Austria in Dec-Jan. This is our first trip there. We like to take things slowly and hence will not want to squeeze in too many places. Below is the draft itinerary for your comments. Do let us know if we should change any part of the itinerary.

Prague (2 days)

Vienna (4 days)

Hallstatt (2 days)

Salzburg (3 days and most probably will hit Christmas)

Innsbruck (2 days - still not confirmed)

Ceske Budejovice (2 days)

Prague (3 days)

We also have some questions as follows:

i) We plan to travel by trains from the different cities. Is it common to buy any train pass? If not, do we need to book the tickets in advance?

ii) It is a long train journey from Salzburg to Prague, and we understand there is a bus connection which is a lot faster. Is it safe to commute by such buses during winter?

Thanks all for your kind assistance

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,446 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Czech & Austria - Itinerary

train pass is a waste of money..generally best to buy on the train website directly.....as well, no need to reserve or buy first class seats

standard train time to/from Salzburg-Prague is 6.5 hrs

you might consider staying in Cesky Krumlov instead of Ceske Budejovice-only 40 minutes away by bus.

near Cesky Budejovice is

http://www.zamek-hluboka.eu/en/

others will post info as well

enjoy your visit

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Czech & Austria - Itinerary

In general your itinerary looks good. Not too rushed, time to soak up the atmosphere in each place, and hitting the highlights. A few minor comments:

- Agree with tejashombre about the train passes and tickets - a waste of money to buy a pass. You can buy tickets ahead of time on the website or just get them at the train station. Trains don't "sell out" in this part of the world, unlike places like India (unless you want a sleeper car).

- Also agree about Cesky Krumlov and Hluboka nad Vltavou. I would maybe add an extra day in the South Bohemia region so you can you to CB, CK and Hluboka. I personally would take one day away from Vienna.

- Salzburg is amazing - make sure you get into the mountains a bit. It will be winter and snowy, but see if you can take a cable car up to the top to get some views.

- Innsbruck is nice but will be PACKED with skiers during the Christmas week. Not sure if I would recommend that unless you are planning to get in a few runs (not a bad idea).

- I am not a big fan of buses, and the road from Linz to Ceske Budejovice is dangerous. A bus crashed there in 2003 and killed 19 people (see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1424112/Nineteen-dead-in-ski-bus-crash.html#). Not that it happens every day, but the road is windy and there are signs with skulls and crossbones warning drivers to go slow. I would take the train from Salzburg to CB and then on to CK. The bus back from CK is fine.

- You could do a midday stopover in Brno on your way from Prague to Vienna, or you could take a daytrip to Bratislava from Vienna, if you want to see some other nice cities in that region.

Enjoy your trip!

Jeff

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Czech & Austria - Itinerary

I agree with Jeff and Tejashombre to spent some time in Český Krumlov and its surrounding. It is an amazing town. In the area of Cesky Krumlov you can find a lot of beautiful places. For example:

Rožmberk Castle

http://www.hrad-rozmberk.eu (20 km)

Zlatá Koruna Monastery (8 km)

charming-krumlov-hotels.com/cesky-krumlov-zl…

Vyšší Brod Monastery (20 km)

http://www.klastervyssibrod.cz/

the Czech Republic
Level Contributor
721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Czech & Austria - Itinerary

Definitely Cesky Krumlov instead of Ceske Budejovice -- I also agree. Is there any reason why you would chose Ceske Budejovice instead of Cesky Krumlov?

Vienna in the Winter for 4 days makes sense to me because it is full of great museums and other places to hide if the weather outside gets too unpleasant.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Czech & Austria - Itinerary

Thanks all for the comments.

JeffinPrague - Any places to recommend if I struck off Innsbruck from my itinerary?

Oldriska - I chose Ceske Budejovice purely because it was along the train ride from Salzburg to Prague.

All - Seems like Ceske Krumlov is a favourite, will definite replace Ceske Budejovice to Ceske Krumlov. I think it is a bus-ride away. By the way, can we bring our luggages on the bus?

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,446 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Czech & Austria - Itinerary

yes, you take your luggage on the bus.... from Ceske Bud. to Cesky Krumlov you can use the local bus.

From Cesky Krumlov to Prague, it is okay to take the bus..there is a nice bus service called Student Agency

lots of info about the bus service on the Cesky Krumlov forum

============

for times, you can check idos.cz

English button bottom right

=========

I agree with the above, I would take one day less in Vienna

Edited: 5:57 am, October 10, 2012
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
791 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Czech & Austria - Itinerary

Hi woomoosan,

I would suggest you still include Innsbruck in your itinerary. We did a similar trip at Christmas 2008 to what you have planned. Innsbruck will be busy but no busier than Salzburg and Prague.

It is stunningly beautiful in its own right and much easier to get around if it is snowing. I recommend taking the railway to Hungerburg. Regular skiers will be heading to more serious slopes.

I agree with the Prague posters that you should replace Cesky Budejovice with Cesky Krumlov.

We found bus travel fine during periods when it was snowing as the bus drivers are quite experienced in these conditions.

Take plenty of warm clothes, you'll find it very, very cold coming from Hong Kong.

I hope you have an amazing time.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,805 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Czech & Austria - Itinerary

I agree, Innsbruck is beautiful and just as busy as Salzburg, but as it happens David does not include Innsbruck in his itinerary, perhaps because he's never been there.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Czech & Austria - Itinerary

Hi woomoosan,

I would keep Innsbruck on your itinerary. It is really beautiful and worth seeing. Just make sure to book a hotel ahead of time. Besides, there isn't much else in the region that you could replace it with that won't be crowded - it will be Christmas week and every place in the Alps will be packed with skiers and tourists. You could consider Bratislava (as a side trip from Vienna) or Munich. Or Fussen in sourthern Germany to see the world famous Neuschwanstein castle.

Jeff

10. Re: Czech & Austria - Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, October 15, 2012
Edited: 4:05 pm, October 15, 2012