We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe to walk at night in Prague?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
safe to walk at night in Prague?

Is it safe to walk at night in Prague? Are there areas we should avoid?

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe to walk at night in Prague?

Much safer than most cities. I'm a man, walk around many parts of the city late at night and almost always feel safe. Pickpocketing and petty theft are bigger problems than any kind of violence (though there are occasional problems). The area behind the National Museum at night used to give me the creeps, used to see some weirdos back there.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe to walk at night in Prague?

OK will avoid the National Museum for sure. I have heard that pickpocketing is as bad as Rome ( and that was bad!!) so will be extra vigilant. Thanks.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,887 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: safe to walk at night in Prague?

to be honest pickpocketing in Prague is no way near as bad as Rome,on busy trams and metros it can be a problem but not one I have encountered much.

Prague in general is a very safe city and i have never had a problem and I have walked round the area of the museum late a night (maybe I was one of the weirdos)

the Czech Republic
Level Contributor
721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safe to walk at night in Prague?

Definitely not as bad as Rome but of course it exists in Prague the way it does in all places that attract large numbers of tourists.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,015 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safe to walk at night in Prague?

Walking around at night is the best way to avoid pickpockets (never been a victim myself, but I know that it happens), and it is much more atmospheric.

Don't worry - it is perfectly safe. Even if for whatever reason you happened across the area around the National Museum at night (highly unlikely) you would wonder what the fuss was about. I've been around there several times, either on my way to the station or from the Opera but, like Unclegus, I might have been one of the weirdos as well :)

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safe to walk at night in Prague?

Coming from the UK, I think that you will be surprised just how safe and law-abiding Prague is. As said above, most crime that unlucky or unprepared tourists will encounter is fairly low level stuff, eg. pick pockets, money changing scams, etc.

You don't really witness much drunkenness/disorder, and if you do, it may well be a fellow Brit rather than a Czech. This is not too common though. Czechs seem to be able to go out, have a number of beers, and get home without wanting to take on their fellow citizens. Even night trams and buses are quite ordely affairs. Even the outerlying suburbs that can look a little run down are quite safe.

The only place I would avoid is Wenceslas Square late at night/early hours. Unless you are shopping for ladies of the night or certain substances. The purveyors of these delights tend to lurk in the shadowy recesses of this landmark. Not a danger, more like just a bit little sleazy.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safe to walk at night in Prague?

Well, OK, I didn't want to scare anyone with the details since these are isolated incidents and maybe this is dated because this happened at least 5 or more years ago. But here goes: I used to work in the area so I sometimes walked behind the museum after dark as a short-cut to get to the bus, tram or metro. A couple of times, people were injecting drugs behind the museum after dark, a lovely sight. But then again, about 6 or 7 years ago, I saw a junkie girl sitting at the bottom of an escalator at Mustek getting an injection from her boyfriend. Not a cop in sight. Another time on the side path past the museum, I saw a guy strangling his girlfriend with a choke hold from behind. Since it looked like a serious strangling and she was rather distressed, I began to walk over to intervene. Luckily the guy didn't want trouble and released her and we just stared each other down for a while. There are sometimes people who sit on the benches there at night who look pretty dodgy, but maybe I'm just a little too wary.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,015 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safe to walk at night in Prague?

I think they are more of a danger to each other, and it is not a place that you are likely to frequent anyway :)

I don't know if you have ever been in the Karlsplatz U-Bahn station in Vienna - it's a real freak show down there with all the above and more, but harmless to passers-by.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: safe to walk at night in Prague?

Just returned from Prague yesterday. My fiance and I spent the last few nights out late and walking around Wenceslas Square. A few other nights were spent just around Old Town Sq., and not once did we ever feel any danger. I did see a group of maybe four young, czech men get approached by what I would guess was a prostitute, but no one ever approached us or made us feel uncomfortable. Even in the shady areas, the shady looking characters were keeping their distance, and just waiting for people to approach them for whatever they were selling. However, sometimes on those same corners, you have similar shady looking guys handing out advertisements for bars or clubs, but even they aren't very agressive. There was one guy that walked really quickly by us on our way to dinner one night that asked if we wanted to buy a joint, but he was moving so fast, that by the time I fully understood what he said, he was gone. Honestly, there was always a lot of people (tourists) around, even late at night, that the feeling of safety never really went away. I usually have the same opinion about most large European capitals....it's not the locals I'm worried about, its the drunk tourists that cause the most problems.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safe to walk at night in Prague?

Thanks Brewsta - better to know about possible pit-falls etc than to be oblivious and get into trouble. I feel quite happy reading all the comments that we should be safe.