We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight train from Prague to Budapest

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Overnight train from Prague to Budapest

I am travelling from Prague to Budapest via overnight train and tge only direct train

I could find is the EN477 which leaves at 12:05 am. It seems that it is only available on line thru the Czech-transport.com website. Is it advisable to get it in advance or can I just buy the ticket when I get to Prague 2 days in advance?

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
16,455 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Overnight train from Prague to Budapest

Just bought two tickets for two people...1932kc both ways..approx $25 one way pp-a good deal IMO.

No need for reservations and no need for first class. This is a frequent train and there is pratically no differerence in 1st and 2nd class except for the cloth head protector on the headrest.

The webpage can be a bugger to wade through-even having done it before.

Euless, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Overnight train from Prague to Budapest

I have a question concerning smoking on board the EC trains from Prague to Budapest. Is smoking allowed? If so, are there some cars designated as non smoking?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,189 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Overnight train from Prague to Budapest

Smoking is strictly forbidden.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
391 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Overnight train from Prague to Budapest

Just got back from my trip from Prague, I would like to thank all the experts here in the Prague travel forum for giving me a lot of valuable advice.

My train experience was wonderful, absolutely comfortable and i have my own private bathroom inside the cabin (i bought a second class private sleeper) of which I was able to shower... An experience one should try if given a chance. I do not know if all trains are equipped with private bathroom even for the second class or I was just being lucky. Overall, for all future travellers, it was a good experience and I strongly suggested it, as it saves a lot of travelling time.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,276 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Overnight train from Prague to Budapest

Thanks for your post, did not know that a second class sleeper has a private shower.,,,

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,189 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Overnight train from Prague to Budapest

I think you must have been lucky, or else you bought a 'deluxe' first class one by mistake :)

If there was only one berth in the compartment, and if it cost considerably more than €59, then that is what happened.

If it only cost €59 then good for you!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
391 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Overnight train from Prague to Budapest

It only cost €59, and there are 2 berths in my compartment, guess i was really lucky!!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Overnight train from Prague to Budapest

Thanks to all the detailed instructions and discussions on this thread, I've gone and bought myself a ticket on this train (EN477) for my upcoming trip (thanks, especially to GCEK and Tilly41 for so much helpful information). I have one remaining question (because I'm paranoid and want to double check that the ticket I have bought is good for a sleeper berth). I selected a single sleeper carriage, and bought a ticket that has a coach and seat number on it and says "Single Normal Tariff: 1284 Kc". My paranoia is showing up, because that seems very cheap compared to some of the other fares I've seen on this thread. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,189 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Overnight train from Prague to Budapest

That is about €49 and therefore you have got a berth in a three-person compartment, but the chances are that you will have it to yourself anyway.

What is the car number? If it is 375 then this is the case.

www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php…

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Overnight train from Prague to Budapest

Yes, it's car 375. Seat 52.

Thank you GCEK for dispelling my paranoia.

(Also, for anyone else looking at this thread, I was able to not only order without problems from the CD eShop, but also emailed them a question and received a response very quickly.)