We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Prague to Dresden

Saarbrucken, Germany
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Prague to Dresden

On the way back form Hungary we have the idea to spend two days in Prague as a stopover.

We found a train which goes from Prague to Dresden several times a day. Not knowing exactly the date I would like to purchase the tickets directly at the railway station the day before.

Is there a big price difference if we would buy the tickets on the internet in advance? Do we need a seat reservation in June?

Does anybody know a local (student) who gives insider tours in the city in English?

Thanks for your advice.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
535 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Prague to Dresden

I think it's 31,50 Euros for one-way ticket on the EC train to Dresden, 2,50 more for a reservation. The advance purchase ticket on the same train (3+ days) is 19 Euro.

Don't think necessary to get a reservation, I've never seen that train close to full.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,443 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Prague to Dresden

You can do a bit of a cheat - buy a ticket from Prague to Schöna (Gr) which is 180 Crowns - if there are more of you you will get a slight discount on this - for two passengers it is 270 Crowns.

Separately buy a ticket from Schöna (Gr) to Dresden which is €11.50 each. For this you will have to go to an international desk.

Just show one ticket to the Czech conductor and the other to the German conductor.

This way for 2 passengers it is only €17 each.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
535 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Prague to Dresden

Are those good on IC trains GCEK? And can you buy the Schoena-Dresden ticket in Prague? I like this plan for the slow trains, because I've always wanted to hang out in some of those river towns for a bit.

Edited: 9:56 pm, June 02, 2011
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,443 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Prague to Dresden

I see no reason why you can't use them on IC trains, and you can buy the German leg in Prague - also at the new Regiojet office which handles all DB tickets (Bayern tickets, Bayern-Boehmen tickets, etc) as it is a sort of joint venture between Student Agency and DB.

On the slower trains you can do it even cheaper, but involves changes in Děčín and Bad Schandau.

For one passenger to do this, buy a ticket from Prague to Vraňany which is 57 Crowns, and also buy a REGIONet Labe-Elbe ticket which costs 200 Crowns for one person and is valid for a whole day in that region on local trains - all info here cd.cz/en/…

Therefore a single trip is only 257 Crowns (€10.50), or return it is 108 Crowns return to Vraňany plus 200 Crowns for the Labe-Elbe ticket = total €12.50. The only minus is that it takes c. 3 hours, rather than 2 hours 10 on the express.

You can get a similar ticket which costs 400 Crowns for a group of 2-5

Say for example there are five passengers on a day trip to Dresden, you get a group return to Vraňany which is 324 Crowns, plus a group Labe-Elbe ticket, which is a total of 724 Crowns return for all five - total €30 or €6 each RETURN!!

If you are coming back the next day, the return ticket to Vraňany will still be valid, but you will have to get an Elbe-Labe ticket in Dresden vvo-online.de/en/…index.aspx - this costs €28 for a group of 2-5 or €15 for a single

There are lots of ways of getting cheap tickets - you just have to think laterally :)

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
535 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Prague to Dresden

>>>For one passenger to do this, buy a ticket from Prague to Vraňany which is 57 Crowns, and also buy a REGIONet Labe-Elbe ticket which costs 200 Crowns for one person and is valid for a whole day in that region on local trains - all info here cd.cz/en/…

I really like this, thanks. I like hanging out in the smaller train stations for a little while, having a (usually very cheap) beer, getting on the old clunky Os trains, etc. Fun way to spend a day to me, although I probably wouldn't make it to Dresden haha.

6. Re: Train from Prague to Dresden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, October 04, 2012