We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague, and surrounding countries (what to do)

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
221 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Prague, and surrounding countries (what to do)

Hey all,

I'll be arriving in Prague in early July for probably 5 days (maybe less) and even though I came to Prague in December with friends, this one's with family so I actually have no idea whats good to do with family in Prague (everyone is overage).

Apart from that, we probably want to travel to the surrounding countries for a few days so I had to ask what is the best place to go (as in what are there fun things to do.. I don't want to be stuck looking at museums and buildings only).

The countries we're looking at: Slovakia, Austria, Hungary, or Poland. We plan to travel by either train or plane to ONE of those countries for a few days, and what do you guys suggest has the most amount of things to do there? Or a country which you would find the most things to do in one city (I've only been to salzburg for less than a day).

Any help appreciated thanks!

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
758 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague, and surrounding countries (what to do)

Hi! In my opinion, 5 days in the Czech republic is not so much...If you don't "want to be stuck at looking at buildings", you could make a trip to the Czech countryside and stay there over a night. It really depends what your and your children's unique interests are..... There are lots of possibilities what to do and what to explore....

For more info, you can brows the following web site:

http://www.kidsinprague.com/

M.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
221 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague, and surrounding countries (what to do)

That's site's for young kids, I did say all kids are over age (think 19 years and 22 years old)

Prague
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague, and surrounding countries (what to do)

Hi, I would go for Dresden (2-hour trip by train) you can visit (parents) Zwinger and "kids" can enjoy Neustadt, the cool and hip area to the north-east of Albertplatz.

You may also like Vienna, check the Naschmarkt - the best cosmopolitan food market in town. Have fun!

delhi
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague, and surrounding countries (what to do)

Vienna is best option to visit for a day. It does not cost much While travelling in bus, you see the countryside and come back in prague on same day after exploring vienna.

raj kumar lala

india

delhi
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Prague, and surrounding countries (what to do)

Vienna is best option to visit for a day. It does not cost much While travelling in bus, you see the countryside and come back in prague on same day after exploring vienna.

raj kumar lala

india

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,841 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prague, and surrounding countries (what to do)

No it's not...and why are you bringing up a year old thread?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,230 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prague, and surrounding countries (what to do)

It is actually a very bad idea for a day trip, unless you like the inside of a bus :)

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prague, and surrounding countries (what to do)

We took the train from Prague to Vienna but stayed in Vienna for 5 days before going on to Budapest. It was 4+ hours Prague to Vienna by train.

Kuala Lumpur...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Prague, and surrounding countries (what to do)

4+ hours from Prague to Vienna doesnt sound too bad...Im planning to have my honeymoon in Prague in December, to experience Christmas there...any advice if it is a good idea cos i heard most shops would be closed on the Eve.

thanks

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,230 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prague, and surrounding countries (what to do)

Christmas Eve is the equivalent of Christmas Day, so in the afternoon at least the place will be largely deserted. The same is true in Vienna. In fact Vienna would be even more closed than Prague in the Christmas and post-Christmas period.