We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can we claim tax refund in Munich airport?

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
139 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
can we claim tax refund in Munich airport?

Hi reader,

If we were to buy something from Prague, are we able to claim VAT from munich airport or the train station from prague to Austria?

Also can we use euro in Prague since it is one of the EU countries?

Thks

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,230 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can we claim tax refund in Munich airport?

Euro is not legal tender in the Czech Republic. The UK, Denmark, Sweden, Poland and Hungary are also in the EU but do not use the Euro either. Only use local currency (Czech Crown). No idea about the VAT but I do know that the time and hassle involved is not worth the little you might get back. You certainly won't get anything back travelling between the Czech Republic and Austria.

Have a look at this goeurope.about.com/gi/o.htm…

And BTW Prague is not an EU country, but the Czech Republic is :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can we claim tax refund in Munich airport?

Hmm but if czech republic is one of the European union countries n Prague being its capital city,why isn't Prague cosidered as part of eu?

Edited: 1:05 pm, October 13, 2010
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,841 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can we claim tax refund in Munich airport?

because Prague is a town, not a country......agree with GCEK - also the only place as a non eu passport holder where you can claim VAt refund is the last departure place from EU - so if you are leaving EU at Munich airport that's where you can reclaim VAT, or at least try

Edited: 1:14 pm, October 13, 2010
Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can we claim tax refund in Munich airport?

I get my VAT refund a couple times every year at the Munich airport. And sometimes it is on a purchase in the Czech Republic. They just convert the Crowns to Euros.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,230 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can we claim tax refund in Munich airport?

Prague IS considered part of the EU, as it is the capital city of the Czech Republic

and the Czech Republic is a country within the EU - Prague is not a separate state http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_republic it is not however, part of the Eurozone where the Euro is the currency.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can we claim tax refund in Munich airport?

Thks for yr reply. So if czech republic can , so can I assume that I will be able to claim my VAT refund for items purchased in Prague at Munich, since Prague is the capital city of Czech republic. logically speaking, I think it shouldn't be a prob. Correct me if i'm wrong but I just want to double confrim.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,230 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can we claim tax refund in Munich airport?

Yes, if you feel that it is worth it to you - but make sure you have all the correct paperwork, stamps and receipts. The procedure is explained in that link I posted above. But make sure you don't try and claim too much, or they might charge you for export duty (happened to me once between Czech republic and Slovakia in pre-EU days, and I had to come to an 'amicable agreement' - i.e. straight into the customs man's pocket ...)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: can we claim tax refund in Munich airport?

Thanks for all your tips and advices

9. Re: can we claim tax refund in Munich airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 17, 2011