We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice for trip from vienna to prague

miami
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
advice for trip from vienna to prague

what would you advise - private chauffer from Vienna to Prague with a stop for awhile in Cesky Krumlov or

train from Vienna to Prague direct, then a next day excursion to Cesky or

train from Vienna to Cesky Krumlov then a train to Prague same day

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice for trip from vienna to prague

As Český Krumlov is way off the route to Vienna from Prague it is not an easy place to reach. Of your three options above, the second one is the most feasible.

The train from Vienna to Prague costs €29 if bought in advance from oebb.at/pv/…index.jsp and get the bus from Prague to ČK and back www.studentagency.eu

A private driver for a journey such as you suggest would be prohibitively expensive, and you would have to put the driver up for the night somewhere.

There are no direct trains from Vienna to Český Krumlov or from ČK to Prague - but if you wanted to do that journey in one day you would see nothing of ČK so it would be a wasted exercise.

miami
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: advice for trip from vienna to prague

Thank you so much for the information. You are absolutely right We've been told that it is worth the trip to visit CK for a day but unless we figure out some sort of a day trip we may have to figure out something else. Many thanks.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: advice for trip from vienna to prague

Hello

we are also going from Vienna to Prague on our upcoming trip and found a private limo service that will pick us up in Vienna, take us to Cresky Kumlov for the day and then continue to Prague. A long day 8:30am til 6:00pm the cost I think around $350.00. I found the service on fodors forum and he gets a lot of good praise , we have emailed and he does take a day or 2 to respond...we have booked the trip , we leave next week so I am hopeful it will all work out . the name of the service is mikes chauffer service prague link www.mike-chauffeur.cz/central-europe-trips

Hope this helps

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,309 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice for trip from vienna to prague

I expect you'd find quite a few companies who would do this trip for a price, but if you are starting in vienna at 8.30 and being dropped off in Prague at 18.00 then you will spend only about 3 hours in Cesky Krumlov - hardly any time for the castle visit and some lunch. Is it worth the money? Only you know.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: advice for trip from vienna to prague

Of course you are correct it is a small amount of time there, but since we were headed to prague we thought it would make sense to stop since no additional charge in transportation. I was told it is approximately 4 hour drive from Vienna to Prague + or - so I am hoping to get a 5-6 hours in Cresky. Perhaps if I wanted we could increase the time for additional funds? I do not know. If I took the train, it was not easy to get there and then on to prague ( luggage issues) and if I went to Prague direct by train I felt I would have to back track prague to Cresky, so this seemed to be a good solution .

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,309 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice for trip from vienna to prague

Vienna to Prague directly - 4 hours (even slightly less than that). Via Cesky Krumlov - 6-6.5 hours.

Depending on traffic.

Edited: 12:47 pm, August 28, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice for trip from vienna to prague

We have just returned from a visit to the Czech republic and used Mikes Chauffer Service for transportation from Prague to Chesky Krumlov and return to Prague airport I know his company also regularly transports clients to Vienna..We cannot recommend this service highly enough.We were treated as if we were private guests of the owner.Mike offered several interesting sightseeing stops along the way at no additional charge.I also did a good deal of research before we left on our trip and am satisified that Mike offers the most competitive rates for private transportation.He is very busy(not surprisingly) and you may have to wait a few days for a reply after your initial e-mail to him.Once your arrangments are confirmed you may rest assured that his company's services are extemely pleasant and reliable.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
126 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice for trip from vienna to prague

We are also planning a simlar trip -- Vienna to Cesky Krumlov for one night and then on to Prague.

We want to maximize our short time in Cesky Krumlov so we have chosen to take the 8:20 train from Vienna to to Linz and then use a 10:30 shuttle from Sebastion Tours to get from the Linz train station to Cesky Krumlov at noon. Shuttle cost is 800CZK for us both. Shuttle Lobo also does this route but their earliest pick up in Linz was 12:30.

Both shuttles also pick up in Vienna but their pick-up times were 12:30 in Vienna so too late for our needs.

We are then planning to 3:05pm or 5:05 pm Student Agency Bus to Prague.

Has anyone done a similar thing and wish to comment?

9. Re: advice for trip from vienna to prague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:20 pm, September 04, 2010
10. Re: advice for trip from vienna to prague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:27 am, March 04, 2011